Slow drip in header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I had a new boiler fitted around around Christmas -Halstead Hero-which seems to be working Ok except that it took ages to rid the system of air in the pipes, great gurgling noises through the system constantly bleeding radiators. Seems much better now and very seldom hear anything .

My problem is that I have noticed there a very slow but constant drip into the header tank in the loft from the ball valve there. As the water never gets high enough to reach the overflow pipe, I feel that there must be a leak somewhere in the system that the float/ball valve is compensating for. Or could it be just a matter of checking/changing the washer on the float arm/replacing the whole ball valve etc.

I have checked all the radiators and pipe work I can seen and can't find a leak, the rest of the pipe work is under the floor in concrete. No wet patches on carpets anywhere though.

Do you think I have a serious problem or just a "change the washer" type one.

Many thanks,Arni

Sponsored Links
You'd better get a hydraulic test done. It'll be expensive to fix a leak under the floor, but it'll be worse if you leave it.

arni said:
the rest of the pipe work is under the floor in concrete

Bad practice to bury pipes in concrete :!: :rolleyes:

Try tying up your ball valve so that no water can enter the system, if the level goes down (heating switched off as it will go down when water has cooled) then you have a leak somewhere.
If it is buried in concrete I wish you the best of luck. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back