Smallest possible radiator to heat a kitchen, any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am in the process of planning a new kitchen. I have an awkward room to deal with. It is square, and has three doors going into it. To maximise working space, I need every bit of wall space free for storage. I have a standard white rad on a wall which is into a corner. The wall is 1.1 metres long between the corner and a door. I want to remove the rad and install a smaller one, closer to the door frame so I can put units all along the wall into the corner with the rad infront of these. There will be no opening doors, just a filler panel. I don't want the rad as is now which is half under the worktop!

The space on the wall is 600mm across. What is the smallest size of rad I could go for which could kick out a reasonable amount of heat?

Was thinking about a standard twin radiator of 450mm wide at standard height.

Any thoughts or better suggestions?

Ta

Andy

Sponsored Links
Rad output is proportional to their size!

A double 450 mm wide and 600 high probably gives about 450 watts! Not anything to get excited about!

A kickspace gives about 2 kW and makes about 68 dBm sound level.

Tony

Hardly hear it running on low power.

Another option would be fin rads under the units with a grill in the plynth

Sponsored Links
They sound like a good solution. My existing radiator uses very thin - Microbore? pipework. Would one of these kickspace heaters work with this type of central heating system? and would the fan have to be on all the time? Ideally I'd want it to be thermostat controlled so I'd just set the temperature and it would do the rest.

I run my central heating all the time so the boiler never actually has to heat the house from cold, it just keeps a constant temperature using the systems thermostat.

Thank you

Andy

yes they have a stat built in, some even have a summer switch so you can circulate the air

another option is underfloor electric heating. depends on current/planned flooring but fairly easy to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back