Smelly washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our washing machine has a nasty niff coming out of it, as if there's some dirty water left in it after the wash. I expect this is due to the length of the drain hose (it's at full extension due to a dishwasher being between it and the drain).

Is there anything I can use to clean the machine through? I've looked on the shelves at my local supermarket, but can't find anything appropriate.

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
a m/c can smell because of various reasons:

door shut between washes

liquid soap used instead of powder

Back fill from waste pipe

in all cases what you smell is the gas given off by bacteria that are living in the m/c

put 1/2 packet soda crystals in drum (no clothes) put m/c on 60 degree wash. this will degrease your m/c and clean it out.

Next put 1/2 bottle bleach in m/c (no clothes) put mc onto rince cycle

Next Stop using liquid soap, as believe it or not, it contains no bleach

you may also want to wipe all of door seal with cloth soaked in bleach

Thanks Breezer -- we use tablets not liquid, but I'll follow your advice for cleaning out the machine.

Jim

The depth, pressure tube can become steadily clogged with evil 'paste', can be smelly .... If your water levels seem to be increasing too, then this tube probably needs cleaning out ... if the M/C has one.

P

Sponsored Links
its common for the pressure chamber to get "gunged up" but not the tube above it / connects to pressure switch as no water EVER gets in it (tube) , only air

also it is some times the water that is left sitting in the pump / filter that goes "off"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back