Smoke alarm causes residual current in light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently connected a mains smoke alarm from a light fitting with 3x50w halogen spotlights in by using a junction box to break into the permanent live. All was well until I replaced the bulbs with low energy ones. Now the low energy bulbs pulse very slightly when the power is turned off and the smoke alarm occasionally goes off without explanation. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
yes, dont wire the smoke alarm to the same cct as low energy lamps.

regretfully i am being serious.

did it happen with halogen lamps (probably not)

there is a whole topic on here about cfl's pulising when installed on 2 way switching

It was fine with the halogens and it is at the top of the stairs, so it is on a two-way switch. I will try and find the section and have a read. Many thanks.

i wish you luck with the new search facility, i think the resolution was "tough", there is not a lot you can easily do.

its do do with the cfls themselves

Sponsored Links
Though there's absolutely no harm in the CFLs flickering away to themselves, obviously in circumstances such as this, it can interfere with other appliances.

i never said or implied there is was / will be any harm (unless you are an epilieptic)

Damn, I KNEW someone would ask. I've had to go and trawl thru my storage and its raining out there.

I have previously used 0.1µF 275vAC rated capacitors. Works well.

Last time I played with capacitors it was with 5v, not sure I trust myself with mains voltage. Where does it have to go across?

Although it is 2-way switching there is just a switch live and neutral at the fitting so there must be a junction box somewhere?

I think I will just put halogens back in!

It will go between live and neutral.
If yr more comfortable putting back yr halogens, go ahead but there will come a day when we all ahve to use more energy efficiant lighting and there will be lots of probs like this to deal with (and lots of dimmers to take out as well!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back