Smoothing artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently used Smoothover to cover an artex ceiling. I'm really pleased with the result, but it was a lot of hard (and messy) work, especially sanding the artex down to less than 3mm.

It struck me that a really straightforward solution would be to nail up new plasterboard on top (or rather beneath) the existing ceiling. Assuming I could identify where the joists were, this would be straightforward, as would filling and smoothing the joints. Plus plasterboard is cheap (especially the thin stuff).

I'm sure there must be an obvious reason why this is not done, but can't think of it myself - unless there is a weight problem?

Any experts know why this is not a viable option?

Sponsored Links
i was going to do this but from an 'expert friend', he said that it is better all round to replace the ceiling. It's a messy job but there is no fussing finding joists and worrying about weight etc..

next time steam your artex off and then get it re-plastered or find the joists and over tack with plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back