So-called professionals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had a massive extension built. We had builders and plumbers in, while I did all the electrics.

One day my wife noticed evidence of a small leak in the downstairs bathroom above a light switch. As I installed the light switch, I knew exactly where to look.

I ripped up some (newly laid :cry: ) chipboard flooring upstairs, and, yes, there was a very slow leak where some copper and plastic pipe were joined. Firstly, I though I would try to tighten it - maybe it had been left loose. Got my spanners, off I went. After a quarter of a turn, the plastic screw-on fitting snapped (lost its thread), and the pipe came flying out. This was a pipe from the combi boiler. It fired up and the water was VERY hot, but I was keen to stop it going everywhere as I didn't want our newly plastered bathroom to get damaged - so I stood the heat. But then the hard tingles from the live side of the light switch were worrying. I raced to turn the boiler off, shouted the wife to turn the water off, then turn all the taps on, then switched all the electricity off. I caught the last few centilitres on a towel and wrung it into the toilet. I mopped up best I could underneath the floorboards.

Got a new fitting for the plumbing, still slow leaked so discovered the end hadn't been cut square. The light switch was kaput, so replaced that.

The water looked quite distributed in the downstairs bathroom, but got the electric radiator on it and thankfully no stains, but will decorate with stain preventer of course.

All this and I had a guitar pupil arriving in 30 minutes. Phew.

Sponsored Links
you are just "string"ing me along, oh well dont "Fret" otherwise i will be a pain in the "neck" and you will get a "head" ache, so i am going to "pickups" my "saddle" and go over the "bridge" , i will not leave you with my "position markers" infact i have run out of "output jack" and my "body" "sound hole" is to tired

(yes they are all guitar parts, see this

Sponsored Links
KerBump form a newby. :confused:

"I raced to turn the boiler off, shouted the wife to turn the water off, then turn all the taps on, then switched all the electricity off. I caught the last few centilitres on a towel and wrung it into the toilet. I mopped up best I could underneath the floorboards. "

Good job you had a well trained, multi-skilled operatve with you. ;)

Were you humming, "Don't let me down"? (Bad Company). :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back