Soakaway for the street scuppering my extension

I'm reading the main sewer is 0.8m at the shallow end and the gulley pipe that feeds into it is 300mm deep?
I took it as these measurements, perhaps I’m looking at the wrong thing?

Attachments

• 55EA5F23-8D75-4F61-ADBC-4C17638EA1EE.jpeg
    55EA5F23-8D75-4F61-ADBC-4C17638EA1EE.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 39D8CFB2-0FE8-4DA4-A56A-36C95D0808E5.jpeg
    39D8CFB2-0FE8-4DA4-A56A-36C95D0808E5.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Thinking outside the box you could have a cantilevered extension with compression and tension piles suitably placed so there are no foundations above the pipes but this is more civil engineering type construction than your bog standard builder stuff and would no doubt blow the budget a bit like HS2

Thinking outside the box you could have a cantilevered extension with compression and tension piles suitably placed so there are no foundations above the pipes but this is more civil engineering type construction than your bog standard builder stuff and would no doubt blow the budget a bit like HS2
Yes I bet it would. Although I was thinking, if I laid a foot deep slab to just inside the drain line, but built out a little all round, the weight would be supported by the main slab with an overhang, if that makes sense, so no weight on the drain?

Yes I bet it would. Although I was thinking, if I laid a foot deep slab to just inside the drain line, but built out a little all round, the weight would be supported by the main slab with an overhang, if that makes sense, so no weight on the drain?
Except the forces imposed on the ground by the slab spread out beneath it at 30 to 45 degrees depending on soil type so there would be a certain amount of load applied to the drain and whether these would be acceptable is down to the WC, the WC may also have particular views on future maintenance access to the drains, back to the WC I guess.

Sponsored Links
Except the forces imposed on the ground by the slab spread out beneath it at 30 to 45 degrees depending on soil type so there would be a certain amount of load applied to the drain and whether these would be acceptable is down to the WC, the WC may also have particular views on future maintenance access to the drains, back to the WC I guess.
As far as I’m aware, the underlying flood drain doesn’t have an inspection manhole anywhere along the run until it exits the back fence, so whatever would be built would not prevent an inspection/maintenance, from the rest, which is as it is now ‍♀️

Southern water will want footings 500mm away from the pipe and anything within 3m will need to be 150mm below the invert. Just been through this with mine. They are pretty helpful on the phone especially if you have a building regs application number.

Southern water will want footings 500mm away from the pipe and anything within 3m will need to be 150mm below the invert. Just been through this with mine. They are pretty helpful on the phone especially if you have a building regs application number.
Thank you, & thank you to everyone who has commented, I am unsure of bldg regs no, will need to check with architect/builder? I will make some more enquiries?
In the event it’s impossible, I’m wondering if I should forgo the side, go out the back then build garden building to house office & laundry, which the side extension was for? ‍♀️

This just looks like standard foul and surface water drains to me. There is always a solution, the question is how much work is involved and at what cost? An application to the water authority normally costs £350, but you do have to provide details of what you propose. First stage for me is to determine the precise depth and location of the drain/sewer? There is no point making plans until you know the precise locations. The drawing may or may not be that accurate, so you can't go by that. When you know depth and location, you can work out what to propose.

Thank you, & thank you to everyone who has commented, I am unsure of bldg regs no, will need to check with architect/builder? I will make some more enquiries?
In the event it’s impossible, I’m wondering if I should forgo the side, go out the back then build garden building to house office & laundry, which the side extension was for? ‍♀️
When I pay for building regs they write to the water co and let them know something is happening. Southern water then check your plans against theirs and either allow or not. It is then up to you to find a solution.

Plenty of info on their website as to what they will allow.

Just be glad this has been pointed out early on before you have paid out too much money...

This just looks like standard foul and surface water drains to me. There is always a solution, the question is how much work is involved and at what cost? An application to the water authority normally costs £350, but you do have to provide details of what you propose. First stage for me is to determine the precise depth and location of the drain/sewer? There is no point making plans until you know the precise locations. The drawing may or may not be that accurate, so you can't go by that. When you know depth and location, you can work out what to propose.
The drawing was after a camera inspection of the drains, they have determined the depths from what I understand from the picture?

Next step then is decide on alternative routes and access points, prepare a plan and submit for approval. Once submitted you'll get to an engineer who are usually quite helpful. A bit of backwards and forwards and you should be able to agree on a solution. Involve your builder so they can advise on costs as you proceed.

We had the same on two new build houses. We had a 6" sewer running under the sidewall of one of the houses.

We had a canterlevered steel reinforced slab tied into the party wall added about £20k to the build and we had two bonded build over arrangements to the water company.

Held up the build for a month as well.

There’s always away depending how deep your pockets are…

That’s a 6” main sewer running smack below the middle of a single storey extension as is the (different site) bottom pic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back