socket trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved into my house,problem being 4 double sockets out of 10 in the kitchen and dining room have stopped working(they were fine until last week)ive checked all the fuses they seem fine and checked the wiring in the sockets,any ideas

Sponsored Links
Few questions before we can help.

1) Are the faulty sockets all grouped together rather than dotted around the place with working sockets in between?
2) Do you have a radial or ring circuit.
3) Do you own a multi-meter?

as far as i know they are on a ring
the sockets that dont work are random,i.e the two next to the window work,the the one next works th n the next two dont etc.sorry dont know what a multi meter is,the bloke from electricity board fitted a new meter last week if that could have anything to do with it

jamie1109 said:
as far as i know they are on a ring
How can you be sure without the ability to test, unless you can get access to all the wiring and physically trace it from one end of the ring to the other?

the sockets that dont work are random,i.e the two next to the window work,the the one next works th n the next two dont etc.
Random in terms of physical location, or random in terms of the cabling sequence?

sorry dont know what a multi meter is,
25414i0.jpg
33064i0.jpg

4407i0.jpg
29050i0.jpg

Without test equipment you will not be able to diagnose problems, or even keep yourself safe. You should no more attempt to work on electrics without one than you should attempt to undo screws with the point of a knife or bang in nails with the heel of a shoe...

the bloke from electricity board fitted a new meter last week if that could have anything to do with it
What sort of meter did you have before? Have you changed from a peak/off-peak tariff to a regular one?

Sponsored Links
Ban, please could you put some names to your gallery of test meters? I'm still in the throes of deciding which meter to buy. Thanks.

They're just a random selection of ones from Maplin, as that was the easiest way to get pictures.

If all you want it for is household electrics, and you don't plan on becoming an electronics hobbyist, then all you need are AC & DC volts and resistance with an audible continuity setting. Autoranging is very useful, as it stops it going bang if you select the wrong setting.

You need to make a judgement about how rough a life yours will lead as well, to decide how robust it should be.

Fused test leads are a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back