Soffits stop window opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. I have just had knew soffits and fasias fitted along with new roof.
When the scaffolding was taken down four weeks later I found I could not open my bedroom window as not enough clearance had been left.
When I rang the roofer he said it was not his responsibilty to come and pur right. Can anyone tell me how I can do this myself???

Sponsored Links
..........yeah, following on from static, depending on the tolerances, the installer could have cut a little off the bottom of the existing timber fascia, with a circular saw or similar.

at least enough to allow the windows to open.

Sponsored Links
your roofer should have spotted the impending problem,and advised you,did he decide on the size of the fascia,if yes,then it's his problem.does the top of the window frame govern the depth of the fascia,for instance,is the soffitt within a brick's depth of the top of the frame

tinat said:
Help. I have just had knew soffits and fasias fitted along with new roof.
When the scaffolding was taken down four weeks later I found I could not open my bedroom window as not enough clearance had been left.
When I rang the roofer he said it was not his responsibilty to come and pur right. Can anyone tell me how I can do this myself???

Other than cut a chunk of plastic out of the bottom of the new fascia there is nothing you can do. Any plastics fitter with half a brain would have usually measured for the windows opening.

Its very important you are able to exit your house by at least one upstairs window in the event of fire.

Is this possible?

good point Mw Roofline.

indicate to the installer that as a result of his incompetence, he has rendered your house dangerous, and if he doesn't fix it he may find himself in a pickle.

Thanks Guys,

Following your replies I have re contacted the roofer who has a least agreed to come out and have a look.

P.S It is just the window in one bedroom.

tinat said:
Thanks Guys,

Following your replies I have re contacted the roofer who has a least agreed to come out and have a look.

P.S It is just the window in one bedroom.

If its touching just a fraction, you can shave a few mil off the top of the window ;)

Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back