Soil Pipe 2 inches out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, Its Alex the semi-self builder. :(

I have just discovered that the soil pipe the builder left in the ground is 2 inches too far away when I come to fix the above ground pipes to the wall.

I was hoping to go straight up the wall, but now this is not possible.

Is it normal to use two 135 degree bends as a way of getting the pipes above ground to the correct position on the wall :?:

This would mean an offset start position, but I have not positioned any holes for wc/sink yet, so this would be ok.

I did need an offset at the wc junction anyway, so this solution may get around the need for extra pipework at the branch :)

Your opinion on my ground solution would be much apreciated.

Thanks, Alex.

Sponsored Links
it may have been done to clear the foundation or it may have been done to allow extra room for the sockets on ceramic pipes it you chose to use those..

Hi, you were correct, it was as far as the foundations would allow.

I checked my proposal with building control, and they said that having the bend at the base of the stack would be ok.

Hi Alex
It is a requirement to have a rest bend at the base of a soil stack. I usually chip into the footings to get the stack nice and tight to the wall.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi Pete,

I would now have the stack coming down from the 1st floor WC Sink and Shower to 2x135 degree bend fittings fitted together to give me the offset, Next is the 90degree sweeping bend under the ground which goes along to the sewer pipe.

Is this underground bend known as the "rest"?

thanks,
Alex.

If I read you correct Alex are you saying you will have an off set above ground if so this is not allowed, the wet part of a soil stack has to be straight.
The rest bend or slow bend is as you say underground at the base of the stack.

Hope this helps
Pete

Make sure you have access caps on all junctions/bends.
You could always put blocks on the stack clips to make up the 2 inches distance.
Pete

I tried fitting the pipes together to get around the 2 inches, and looking down the hole, I can still directly see the rest bend through the two 135's. Its just moved a little over to the right now.

So at the moment, its two 135degree bends connected directly to the rest bend with an access cap above the 135's
Above all that will be just over 2m of straight stack.

What would be the reason not to allow this?

The last thing I want to end up with is a blockage, so I would like to understand the reason for not allowing this combination.
My building inspector agreed it was ok over the phone, but now I am wondering if I didn't explain it properly to him.

many thanks, Alex.

It'll be fine in practice. The Building Regs 1991 (H - 1.23) actually say -
Offsets in the wet portion of a discharge stack should be avoided. If they are unavoidable then ... there should be no branch connection within 750mm of the off-set.

thanks Chris.
That would explain my building inspectors tone when he said it would be ok.
I will look into fitting blocks to get it straight, as I also have huge soffits to get around at the top for the vent, but if it looks out of place I will go with the offset.
I guess if I had any problems in the future, I could have the underground pipes adjusted, (with approval of course..)

I am enjoying my semi-self build, but before I started, I never realised how many rules and regs I would come across on my journey.

thank god for this forum!!

thanks for all your help guys.
Alex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back