Soil Pipe under extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to buid an extension out the back. The soil pipe from the current bathroom drops down the back wall and is said to join the common soil pipe from next door. The Clean water into the house is said to do the same.

My first thought was to turn the bathroom round and run the soil pipe down the side of the house. but this still leaves the common section of pipe 3ft from my current back wall. What is the best advice on how to deal with this.

Replace with plastic and concrete over?
Move outside extension area?
Pray nothing happens and sell my house quick?

Any better idea's

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean,can you do a drawing ? Also what does the drawing plan say ?

This is not detailed on the plans.

The house is a semi on a slight hill. The route of the soil pipe is said to be along the back of the house from the neighbours Kitchen & bathroom to my bathroom then kitchen, round the corner and down the side of the house to the street.

I wan't to build over the area at the back of the house. If I do this the way it strands, I will not have access to clear the pipe in the event of a blockage. Also if there is a problem with the pipe (crack, damage etc) I'd have to dig up my floor.

I thought of moving the bathroom round to take the soil pipe down the side of the house. Replace the section that will be under the extension with plastic and put in a Rod End to allow this to be cleared.

Is it worth the effort from a developer point of view being I don't expect to be in the house more than 3 years.

I think that you would be best fitting plastic under the area you want to build bedded on a couple of inches of pea gravel, top up over it with sand and then I would lay a scaffold board over the whole run on top of the sand just for good measure and then backfill in the usual way. It may also be worth creating a manhole at the point where it will bend to travel down the side of your house so then it can be rodded or inspected in both directions. I am not saying that this is the textbook way to do the job but it is what I would do given your options.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back