Soil pipe vent in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed that one set of wooden beams in the loft of my house were wet at the top/apex (looks like water has been running down to about half way down the beam).
There is also moisture (looks like condensation) on the plastic roof lining.
Just below this area is the top of the soil pipe which stops just below the top beam without going through the roof.

Looking from outside, there is a gap in the mortar below one of the capping(?) tiles at the rear side - at first I thought that this might be a problem & I'd have to get it filled in but now I know the situation with the soil pipe, I guess it could be a vent.

Could the moisture be caused by the soil pipe or is it more likely to be a leak from the gap in the mortar?

Most of the houses here (built around 1990) are 1 or 2 bed semi's or terraces and I've noticed that the 2 beds have what looks like a vent about half way up the roof whereas the 1 beds (like mine) do not (I haven't been able to look at the back of any of them to see if they have a gap in the mortar like mine has).

I always though that soil pipe vents had to go to the outside air - is this type of positioning of a soil pipe allowed?

Sponsored Links
the soil pipe should be vented outside it is unlikely the damp is from this pipe if the water level had got any where near this the toilet ,bath, sink would have flooded

Would have thought the damp is more likely to be steam from when the bath is emptied.

Sponsored Links
Garfeild said:
Would have thought the damp is more likely to be steam from when the bath is emptied.
That's what I was thinking - steam from hot water going down one of the drains.

Nige F said:
does the loft smell?
There was a slight smell when I went up there once but it only seems to be there occasionaly.

Is the pipe just an open end or does it have an air admittance valve on it?

hmmmm!!!??? Upon closer investigation of our new domicile I found that the soil stack terminated with an an elbow offered flush up to an air brick in the external skin, in the loft space, and that the internal skin was just missing a block. Is this complient with current regs??? the house is 20 yrs old? The loft space doesnt stink of noxious (cough! cough! gag! gag!) emissions.

House is 11 yrs old.

i,d recommend removing elbow fitting air admittance valve(durgo valve)and blocking off the air brick if you can,t take the stack out through the roof

donametchi said:
i,d recommend removing elbow fitting air admittance valve(durgo valve)
What?!

You can't replace a vent with an AAV. :rolleyes:

you can,t run a soil pipe to an air brick.rightfully the soil pipe should terminate outside the property.and fitting a durgo valve is a much prefered option as there is plenty of air in the attic to operate the durgo.bearing in mind the valve should be fitted at least 1m above the highest service point get rid of the air brick.ain,t heard of an air brick been installed this high in a property just maybe the water is coming from the air brick as if the water was backing up then the whole house would be getting flooded.

donametchi said:
and fitting a durgo valve is a much prefered option as there is plenty of air in the attic to operate the durgo.
1. Preferred?! Preferred by whom, exactly? And why?

2. An AAV isn't operated by having a large quantity of ambient air. :rolleyes:

3. An AAV doesn't fulfill the requirements of a vent.

FFS.

oh yes it doe,s.god help your customers.rouge trader.so how much air does an aav need to operate then?

donametchi said:
oh yes it doe,s.god help your customers.rouge trader.so how much air does an aav need to operate then?
Excellent post. I can hardly wait for your next one.

Presumably a rouge trader is one who's well red?

yes very true i have well read your comments on a matter of issues and you have been well read.so how much air is needed for an aav to operate successfully then?this will show your worth.

donametchi said:
yes very true i have well read your comments on a matter of issues and you have been well read.
It. Was. A. Pun. :rolleyes:

so how much air is needed for an aav to operate successfully then?
This is completely, utterly and overwhelmingly irrelevant. An AAV doesn't vent positive pressure from the sewer, so cannot be used to replace a vent.

this will show your worth.
Harry Worth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back