Soil Pipe Ventilation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

I have a B2B end terrace property, which has previously had a loft conversion. The ventilation for the soil pipe runs directly up the centre of my roof, to clear the dormer windows.

Is there any way I can get rid of this ugly pipe? maybe replace it with some kind of filter or NRV valve?

I have seen an Air Admittance Valve, but think these can only be used indoors. Is there a similar device for outdoor use?

Or will I have to try and reroute the ventilation pipe, or will i have to leave it as is, for building regs???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Don't know mate, but you want to get those missing tiles sorted out..

Scaffoldings going up this saturday, so though while I was doing roof I would try sort out this UGLY ventilation pipe.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing your next door neighbour is the same layout and how is theirs is done ? I think the reason it was done that way is, no smell can enter into the dormer window.
If I remember rightly the Air admittance valves should be accessible for maintenance and should be removable to give access for clearing the blockages, so shouldn't use for outside but I maybe wrong. Take the picture down to your local building control and see what they say. Some of the plumber's here might know.

Mine is the only house on the row with a dormer, but I will keep my eye out to see how other people have done thiers.

Cheers

that 'kin pipe is mingin and so is that open hopper. Do your house a massive favour and get that soil pipe internal. Run it horizontally just inside the eaves and out through the gable end. Get rid of that open hopper and the associated external pipe work.

If building control object after allowing that mostrosity tell em to **** off. Thousands of UK properties have internal soil pipes.

Air Admittance Valves do what is says on the box. They don't let smelly air OUT. Which is why you have a vent.

I agree the pipe isn't an aesthetic asset but I'd have thought moving it inside would be a tad pricey and be in the way somewhere.

I think I'd turn the pipe to vertical from the base of the dormer so it 's attached to the side of it. At the moment it looks like it's fallen over and been forgotten.

Would like to hear what Building Control have to say. Give them a call. I rate my locals very highly.

The only regulations that I know off concerning AAVs is that they should be:

a)"At least 6 inches above the flood level of the highest fixture on that pipe".

b) "Accessible"

Usually the first point causes them to be above the first storey. Due to this (and point b) this generally means that they are located indoors.

From your picture, I can't see anything attached at first floor level. I am guessing that it just serves your ground floor kitchen.

You may, therefore, be allowed to cut the vent pipe down and fit an AAV at, say 4ft above ground level. This would certainly be accessible and would be above the flood level of your kitchen sink.

If I am right about this soil pipe not servicing anything upstairs, you may want to run this option past your friendly building control office.

Texmex, the soil pipe is also serving the first floor bathroom so I can't cut the pipe down to 4ft above ground level.

I asked the question because I noticed that similar houses (with dormers) have used these AAV's outdoors. One or two have had their soil pipes capped off at gutter level and have had a vent put in the side. Both ways look a lot neater than my vent pipe, but probably not to regs???

Brumylad, I would like to "Get rid of that open hopper and the associated external pipe work". As I am not a plumber and only a humble DIY'er what do you suggest I can do with them, at little cost???

Cheers

Bigbray said:
Texmex, the soil pipe is also serving the first floor bathroom so I can't cut the pipe down to 4ft above ground level.
Does the bottom half of your upstairs window open ? if so, maybe put the Air Admittance Valve in line with your window cill which could be accessible for maintenance but only if it's safe to do so.

I'm having my windows measured up this week, replacing with UPVC. I was going to have centre openers throughout.

Masona, this sounds like the best and cheapest option. Would I have to ask my local building control office first or can I just go ahead and do it???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back