Soil Stack branch connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've read a bunch of the posts on soil stack problems which all seem to point in one direction, however I would appreciate your collective thoughts. The problem is this, the WC was connected via the original lead pan connector which turned 45 deg and was soldered to a brass ferrule which was hemp cauked and lead run into the socket of the branch. When this was exposed I decided to remove the lead and brass ferrule, primarily because they pass through a notionally solid wall and would be impossible to access in the future, but also because they were pretty ropey, original (1922) I suspect. The branch is rotated in the vertical plane by 45 deg into the wall so that half of the socket circumference is covered by the roughcast. I have tried a standard drain connector in the CI socket but it is a little too loose for comfort given that it will eventually be covered over, and a hidden leak doesn't bear thinking about. I can get the spigot of a 135 deg bend into the socket, its a tightish fit but there is obviously no seal, again a problem given the connection is partially hidden.

There seem to be two solutions, one is to use the spigot connection just described with an external seal, the other is to take down the CI and replace with plastic. Is there another far better way I haven't thought about?

TIA
Martin

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion, I've been round this loop already. Multikwik do a universal coupling for plastic to clay, CI, but it's meant to be inserted into the ID of the pipe rather than the socket, which makes it to loose. Unfortunately the branch is not long enough to cut off the socket, even if I could physically get at it with a hacksaw.

Regards
Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back