Soil under floor space actually on the joists - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Flat (ground floor) its a converted ex shop, 75% of the floor is concrete and I have small areas of floorboards.

I started having a roller coaster flooring issue in my passageway, I initially thought this was just warped tounge and grove (covering the passageway), so I decided to lift the tounge and grove today, it seems the problem is actually a chipboard panel someone had fitted in the past in place of floorboards under the Tounge & Groove.
This chipboard panel had rotted and was swelling.
I have torn a section of the chipboard away and to my surprise the soil level below is about 3"-4" (yes inches) below the floorboards it looks as though even the joists are partly covered in soil.

Should I dig this deeper prior to fitting new floorboards?

If so to what depth?

Would I be right to assume whom ever layed the concrete floor has just shifted excess soil to another location under the floor?.

Or am I on the wrong track

Heeeelp!!!

Many thanks in advance

Kevin (Portsmouth)

Sponsored Links
i would dig it out at least 18 inches to get it bellow the damp proof course

i would also be concerned that the joist may have been dammaged by the damp[from the earth]

big-all said:
i would dig it out at least 18 inches to get it bellow the damp proof course

i would also be concerned that the joist may have been dammaged by the damp[from the earth]

The joists are damp but appear sound, Ironically part of this preparation (Tounge & Groove removal) is for a DPC course on my flat Beginning Thursday 9th)

Thanks for your advice - this soil issue is a total surprise to me, and I had no idea how deep is should be

Thanks again - appreciated

another point make shure the soil is below any air bricks to allow airflow

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
another point make shure the soil is below any air bricks to allow airflow

DPC guys say that I need more

I will check out the levels

Thanks

Kevin

You may have got a bodge job there - joists laid on ground, boards nailed onto them - joist not supported by sleeper walls. One of the easier ways would be to dig it out and lay a solid floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back