Soilpipe dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 1886 property built on a slope so it's 3 levels at the front and 4 at the back. It was built without plumbing so when the wc's/bathrooms were installed on the 1st and 2nd floors (ie level 2 and 3 from the front they were installed at the side of the house with a single soilpipe and adjacent waste. A builder owner ( bodger ?) decided he wanted an ensuite for the 1st floor master bedroom and installed a saniflo wc with a 22mm copper pipe running through the house to the existing soilpipe. He also installed a bath/bidet/sink and shower in the room and had the waste going into a soakaway. When we had the house surveyed this was picked up and he installed a 65mm(ish) waste to the front of the house that ran down the front wall, 0.5 m underground and then into the basement at ceiling level right to the back of the house where it joined the kitchen waste.
I now want to refurbish the en-suite and install a conventional wc but obviously have an issue with soilpipe. I can't run a pipe through the house at 1st floor level to pick up the existing. I can't install a septic tank at the front of the house as I can't get the 7m clearance. If I run a soilpipe to the front of the house I have 2 choices...1.Get to the the existing by going around the front bay, digging up the concrete path to the side and get the right slope.or 2. Go into the basement and run the soilpipe through or under the basement floor......not a problem at the front of the house as it's just a storage area...the rear bit is a workroom....lot's of digging and at least 3 walls to get through. Any ideas or recommendations on how I keep the ensuite where it is ?
Soilpipe.JPG

Sponsored Links
If your choice is between selling up and installing an electric poo masher that you will one day regret ever hearing about, then my advice to you is to sell, sell, sell!

It would be choice 1 for me I think:

'1.Get to the the existing by going around the front bay, digging up the concrete path to the side and get the right slope'.

Even if it was just for the ease of filling a skip from an outside trench as opposed to trying to remove soil etc from inside the house.

edit: forgot to mention, also if things go wrong for any reason in the future and you've converted those rooms into something nice... they aren't going to be nice once you start digging up the floor! Outside is best i thnk :D

Its normal to use solvent weld plastic pipe for the outlet of a macerator.

Most want 32 mm but a few will accept 22 mm ( overflow ).

Its amusing we call it "overflow" but its mostly used for condensate drains now.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back