Solar garden lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some solar lights in the garden for around three years now and the batteries are starting to fail.
The batteries installed at the moment are 1.2v 6oo mAh, but have some 1.2v 2100 mAh.
Would there be any detrimental effect if I used these?

Sponsored Links
Are they really starting to fail or is it the fact that the sun isn’t getting high enough in the sky to charge them?
Many of my neighbours have got solar lights and in the summer they work well but they are currently (at night) not worth having.

G

No, I think the batteries are going...some are only on for a few minutes while others are lasting an hour or so.
Instructions recomend changing yearly...but then they would, it sells more batteries.

your problem will be can the solar cell charge the battery. that i can not answer.

I would suggest you bin them anyway, they only ever give a "glow*", need a lot of sun shine to charge, are a waste of time.

* except the colour changing ones, these make me laugh

there are a lot of diy garden lighting kits available, much better light too, but you do get what you pay for

Sponsored Links
Whilst I would agree that electric garden lights are better, they are not always convenient. Especially if you just want to plonk a few down in the middle of the garden - a long way from a socket.

Question - which is going off thread a bit - are low voltage garden lights part of part P?

G

Sorry, don't know the answer about the batteries.

I would say no, since they are plugged in, not hard wired

could you just imagine if they were.

mr building inspector electrician, can you check to see if this plug is plugged in ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back