Solder lead not sticking to copper pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to mend failed solder ring joints with solder lead but it just dropped off the copper pipes without flowing into the joints. I bought the lead and flux from Wickes. I must be doing something wrong here as I always thought solder lead must stick to the pipes once melted! Please help.

Regards,

Luan

Sponsored Links
Must be 100% clean and dry.Possibly the heats from your blowtorch is drawing water up to the joint which failed to solder,if you're still having problem best to change it over to compression fitting.

Masona is right; your joint must be 100% clean first. Use wire wool rather than emry cloth - cloth leaves "dust" whereas wire wool doesn't.

If you can open the joint first, clean the inside edges too, that way the solder has a clean surface to adhere to. Also run a smear of flux around the inside edge. If you can't open the joint drag a little flux backwards over the join trying to force a little into the crack.

When you heat the pipe aim the flame a little away from the joint but towards it and the solder should flow towards the joint following the heat.

Soldering always seems easy to people but it can take practice to perfect.

Good luck

Masona and Cobweb know far more that I will ever know about soldering.
The ony time I have ever had a failure or difficuly in soldering pipes has been that water has been present in the pipes although I had thought I had drained the system. Water obviously shunts the heat away from the joint and if water is present you will never get a temperature higher than 100'C and this is not high enough for solder to flow. The solder will run very locally and will then form globules but not stick to the pipe system as the copper temperature is to low.
This exactly what Masona and Cobweb have said so I suspect water in the Pipe is the problem.

Sponsored Links
Hysteresis said:
Masona and Cobweb know far more that I will ever know about soldering.
The ony time I have ever had a failure or difficuly in soldering pipes has been that water has been present in the pipes although I had thought I had drained the system. Water obviously shunts the heat away from the joint and if water is present you will never get a temperature higher than 100'C and this is not high enough for solder to flow. The solder will run very locally and will then form globules but not stick to the pipe system as the copper temperature is to low.
This exactly what Masona and Cobweb have said so I suspect water in the Pipe is the problem.

I would suspect the probem has gone, since it was asked 4 years ago

Thanks Breezer - I must try harder even if it is only to read the date.
I will try not to be a NUMPTY in future

Hysteresis, take no notice of Breezer, I have done it a few time before realising. These type people think we do it on purpose

How very true

"A man who never made any mistake, never did anything"

masona said:
These type people think we do it on purpose

NOT TRUE MASONA!

I realise it was done in error, its just if you make an error, the error should be pointed out to you, which is what i did.

breezer said:
masona said:
These type people think we do it on purpose
NOT TRUE MASONA!

I realise it was done in error, its just if you make an error, the error should be pointed out to you, which is what i did.
In that case, read rule 6.

Seems Breezer has a propensity to sarcasm, I have had a reply in the past with similar comments.
Breezer does not seem to appreciate the fundamental idea behind this excellent site, with his/her derogatory comments.

Hysteresis said:
.............appreciate the fundamental idea behind this excellent site

reading the rules also helps, and NEVER take it personaly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back