Soldering = Headache?

Joined
28 Jul 2012
Messages
1,319
Reaction score
47
Location
Surrey
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I was doing quite a lot of soldering (with lead based solder :rolleyes:) in my Kitchen (Making up audio cables) and I noticed that I got a headache towards the end of it.

Is this normal? Next time I might think to turn the extractor hood on, as it was near to where I was soldering. (y)
 
Sponsored Links
Joined
11 Jan 2004
Messages
38,396
Reaction score
1,792
Country
United Kingdom
Always a good idea to have adequate ventilation when doing anything that creates fumes.

Sure it's lead solder? Unless it is ancient, it's more likely to be lead-free these days.
 
Joined
10 Mar 2007
Messages
10,368
Reaction score
2,123
Location
Poole, Dorset
Country
United Kingdom
Lead solder is only toxic if you are intending to eat it.

Flux fumes are often toxic and should not be inhaled.
 
Joined
1 Dec 2006
Messages
5,321
Reaction score
519
Location
Cumbria
Country
United Kingdom
Either fumes from the flux or headache caused by keeping your neck in one position for a long period more likely.
 
Sponsored Links
Joined
28 Jul 2012
Messages
1,319
Reaction score
47
Location
Surrey
Country
United Kingdom
Why are you making audio leads up with plumbing solder?

Since when has 60% Tin/40% Lead solder been for plumbing? Also I doubt plumbers very often use 1mm diameter solder. The solder as linked is sold under "Electricians Tools" at toolstation also.

Most solder has historically has had lead in it up until about 20 years ago due to the lead lowers the melting point of the solder.

I guess my headache was from using excessive flux when coating the wires before tining them.
 
Joined
2 Jun 2005
Messages
14,841
Reaction score
477
Location
Cumbria
Country
United Kingdom
I've only used solder with flux in/on it for electrical stuff, no need for additional flux.
 
Joined
1 Sep 2015
Messages
2,409
Reaction score
211
Location
Redding, California
Country
United States
I've only used solder with flux in/on it for electrical stuff, no need for additional flux.
Ditto. For regular electronics work it's by far easiest just to use rosin-cored 60/40 solder. So long as you make sure everything is clean before starting, the flux within it should be perfectly adequate.
 
Joined
15 Nov 2005
Messages
77,149
Reaction score
4,789
Location
Crossgates, Europe
Country
Cook Islands
Lead is a poison which damages the brain and nervous system. Unusually among poisons, there is no dose small enough to be considered non-harmful. It accumulates in the body. It is especially harmful to babies and children, as it reduces intelligence permanently, and is also associated with behavioural problems and criminality in later life.

I knew an older plumber who had to retire early with early-onset dementia. He deteriorated very quickly and within two years went from running his own business to being unfit to boil a kettle or find his way home from the end of his road. The hospital diagnosed brain damage from working with lead.
 
Sponsored Links
Top