Solid fuel fire flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a gas fire with a solid fuel fire in the fireplace. Can anyone tell me how I fit the new flue to the excisting chimney. I am hoping that it is just place the flue up the chimney and seal it.

Any help please.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi, I think you need a large firebrick insert (in two parts usually) which has a smoke shelf. this fill the whole opening and is ready to take a basket and side bricks (slim fire brick inserts). You then check the 9 inch square flue for lining condition- and away you go!- Any help?
The two parts are to allow for expansion.

Solid fuel fire or solid fuel stove? What age is your house, what is it built of?

The house is built of brick a 100 years old. Want ot use Solid Fuel. Will know more when I get in.

Many Thanks to all

Sponsored Links
Bylough , any chance you could post pics or links to the item you are talking about , i have a solid fire that has been unused for ages and was wondering what i needed to get it started but i'm starting to get a little confused with all the terms , firebreak , firebricks , firebaskets , smokeshelfs etc

will try and post a pic next week of my fireplace and try and explain my situation a bit better

TIA

Derek

Hi Woo-- , I am not an expert on open fires. I have some pics- but I'm not into 'posting' them yet.
My new fireplace and flue at ground floor is a precast affair, gotten from our builders merchant- with some advice to go with it- and I worked the rest out myself. These flue sections are 9 inch bore (square) and fit into each other with a flange, duly 'glued' with fire cement (black). They look like breeze blocks. The fire opening back and sides (two piece with division half way up for expansion- ie split) This part is a nice looking brown firebrick colour. A top part- the lintol- is also the smoke shelf ( to prevent downdraft). You should arrange the flue to be vertical a fair bit before any bends if these are required. I assembled all this as I build up the brick chimney breast ( on a good concrete base and keyed-in bricks).
Hope this helps a bit.
ps- I also found an old householder book with building a fireplace artical in it.

The difference is what type of fire you want to fit.

If you want a solid fuel stove then you don't need to rebuild the fireback.
I had an inglenook fireplace in my old house, so I could just fit the whole stove in the fireplace.
The bottom of the fireplace opening was just quary tiled. As the stove was quite high off the ground it wouldn't get too hot.
I then just took a stainless steel linner straight up the chimney.

Hazelb- that sounds better than my long winded trollop!
Of course- in my case I had to start with no chimnet breast.

Thanks for all your comments and advise. I am looking forward to getting in the house and starting this project.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back