Solid wood "floating" shelving in alcove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help. I don't know anything about brackets and shelving so be kind please. :oops:

I saw some shelves that had been fitted into an alcove and was wanting to get the same thing done in my own house. The shelves were solid wood and quite heavy and were the "floating" type of thing. Can anyone tell me what materials we would need to be able to do the same kind of thing? We do have solid walls if that's any help.

I tried to look for some kind of "floating shelf" bracket but can't find anything. I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Hafele sell the brackets. You can also use threaded rod and epoxy mortar, although this tends to be a more permanent arrangement. Whilst I've done some solid wood shelves, this type of shelf is normally made by sandwiching different thicknesses of MDF or veneered MDF together and then edge lipping.

Scrit

Thanks Scrit.

What would we need to fit solid wood shelves? I have seen the "hollow" type and they look ok but I wante the same type of wood throoughout. Is it possible to do this by sliding or fitting a bracket to the back?

thanks again. :)

You'd need to talk to someone like me who makes furniture :LOL: . Fundamentally all these shelves are is ex-2in sawn stock planed all round. I then back drill them (for the "prongs") and rout a recess to hide the wall fixings. The problem is that if your house is centrally heated there is always the risk of a thick shelf like this moving slightly as it adjusts to equilibrium. For that reason laminated shelves are good because they won't move in service, and they're also somewhat cheaper.

The brackets I generally supply to my customers look like these:

283.jpg

283-1.jpg

However they aren't available form the local ironmonger.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
I tend to use the metal rods and epoxy method both for solid wood and built up veneered board, have a look at this and the next two pics for an idea how its done.

If you do go for brackets like scrit suggested use at least 3" screws with th eplugs tapped well into the wall below the plaster, the pronged ones would be best but you can buy the others from either of these who will do mail order

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/results.asp?hobbyID=28&deptID=46&ref=departments

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?cPath=121_84&products_id=3099&Name=Shelf+Support+-+Concealed

Jason

Thanks Jason

I ve just had a look at those links and we now have a batter idea of what we are looking for.

thanks again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back