Somehow it was my fault.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really one of my disasters but the chappie involved thought it was!!!

I work as a newsagent and happened to, yesterday, be doing a paper-round. I got to one house and as i pushed the paper through the letterbox, felt a bit of resistance. Assuming the end of the paper was merely caught on the insulating foam people like to put on their boxes, i gave it a gentle shove and the paper went thorugh with an almighty bang which was followed by the old chap who lived there running out and playing merry hell with me!!!

It turned out he was varnishing his new wooden hall floor and had reached the point behind the door. In order to stop things being pushed onto it, he taped the back of the letter box shut. Sadly the tape he used was sronger than the fittings (panel pins!!!) holding the letterbox to the door! As I pushed the paper in, it pushed the entire back of the letter box off the door and scratched his new floor. Also the paper landed on a varnished bit which had to be resanded and started again.

Now somehow, the whole problem was blamed on me and when i pointed out that there was no note ont he door saying DO NOT USE LETTERBOX or similar he said "Yes, but the paperboy doesn't normally get here for another 2 hours so i would have put one up by then!!!"

I walked away when he started trying to hit me!!! When i got back to the shop, he had rung my boss adn explained it all to him who was laughing his *ss off!!!!!

Sponsored Links
moral is run away from an o.a.p when they start trying to hit ya!!

Sponsored Links
hahaha, that story has really cheered my Friday afternoon up! I was a paper boy a long time ago and then best thing that happpened to me was that one old man realised how cold it was and that I wasn't wearing any gloves and gave me a pair of his old socks for my hands!

Ahhh, great days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back