SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE !!1 updated please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI new member here and need some help urgently
About 3 months ago I had some of my sockets ( on a seperate ring I think ) trip the rcb out on the consumer unit.I checked all the sockets and they were ok as if by magic a few hours later they all started working again ! I put it down to a dodgy socket outside in my greenhouse.
Well the same problem has happened again but this time the sockets havnt come back on. I have had every socket connected to this ring ( I have some working on a seperate ring ie kitchen conservatory ) but the rest of the house and outside are dead. There is four wires leading into the tripped rcb two are taped together I presume these are a ring if I put these two only into the rcd it doesnt trip but the sockets dont work so I then put one of the other two wire into the rcb and it didnt trip ( still no sockets working ) I then placed the last wire back into the rcd with the rest and it tripped I have traced this wire to a socket in the garage so I disconected this one but still no sockets but the rcd doesnt trip. Im at a loss now and to be honest I havnt got the money to get a sparky in is the wire I have disconected part of the ring ? Any suggestions please get back to me the Mrs is doing her crust as we have extension leads leading from the kitchen to most rooms in the house !

Sponsored Links
You need to tighten up your description - you keep saying RCB - do you mean RCD or MCB? It's difficult to understand what's going on from a written description sometimes, without it being aggravated by lack of clarity...

There is four wires leading into the tripped rcb two are taped together I presume these are a ring
Don't presume - in extremis presumptions regarding wiring can lead to death...

if I put these two only into the rcd it doesnt trip but the sockets dont work so I then put one of the other two wire into the rcb and it didnt trip ( still no sockets working ) I then placed the last wire back into the rcd with the rest and it tripped I have traced this wire to a socket in the garage so I disconected this one but still no sockets but the rcd doesnt trip.
Even ignoring the RCD/MCB/RCB mixups, this makes little sense. If you've connected up the wires, and the device (whatever it is) doesn't trip, but you still have no power then the problem lies elsewhere.

Im at a loss now and to be honest I havnt got the money to get a sparky in
I fear you may have little choice....

is the wire I have disconected part of the ring ?
Err - you have to tell us that. You are there and can see where it runs, we are not and can't.

Sorry guys I'm new to this heres a bit more info

The trip that keeps tripping is as follows
Hager 32A type 2 M3
It has four wires connected to it at the bottom all of these are red two of them are taped together the other two are single wires from seperate cables.
I have tried to elimanate which one was causing the problem I traced it to one of the single wires which went through the wall and leads to my garage this was a solid run leading directly to a twin socket via a juntion box which had cables for the lights / switches etc for the garage in it also. I have cut this main wire to completly disconect the whole of the power in the garage. This has stopped the trip from tripping but I still have no sockets. Like I said before I have checked each socket which isnt working and in the end I took every socket off leaving bare wires and still I was getting the trip its only been since I cut the wire leading to the garage that the trip has stayed in but even after wiring all of the sockets back up I still have no sockets that work. I can take photos if required

Since you're obviously new at this game, check the simple stuff first. When you put all those wires back into the consumer unit, did you tighten the screws onto the wire ends or the insulation? It's an easy mistake to make if you aren't watching carefully. (After you've made a few connections you get to know the feel of a grub screw tightening onto insulation instead of good, solid copper.)

I can think of two other possibilities (more may follow):

1) Your breaker has tripped one time too many and is now broken!

2) Your wiring is a mess. All those dead sockets are on a continuation of the cable you took out. This is actually a distinct possibility because four cables suggests two separate rings. Of course there should still be power reaching them from the other end of the ring - but not if the ring is broken somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Thanks felix I checked the breaker out and the wires leading into it and it seemed fine as a quick check I disconected the cooker wire leading to the 40A breaker and placed the four wires into this and all the sockets came on. I know the breaker was 40A so wouldnt trip so I then placed all of the wires back into the 32A breaker and placed it back on the buzz bar and the sockets didnt work After taking the breaker off again I found that the small metal clip on the bottom had come loose I have clipped this back on wired everything back up and all the sockets are working
Hope I have done right here do you think I should get a new breaker just in case ?.
Hope noone else has this type of problem its been a nightmare and all for a clip on the breaker

I'm afraid I can't help with the clip question. Maybe somebody else out there knows the answer.

Meanwhile, I have a question of my own:

You've put all the original wires back in so why don't you have the original fault? One somewhat ominous possibility is that you DO have the original fault but the breaker is no longer doing its job. Unless you know that whatever was tripping that breaker has been fixed, I'd say that's a good reason for replacing the breaker. At the very least you should swap it with another one in the box and see what happens.

I have seen this type of MCB before, Think they were "Merlin Gerin",
There is a little sliding clip on the busbar side of the MCB which covers the connecting terminal, If this clip is not moved to cover the terminal after installing the MCB then there is no power supplied from the busbar to the mcb, It's a bit like having two switches on the MCB,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back