Sorry - rough idea of cost for extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im thinking of selling and moving to a bigger house, or spending money to extend my existing house.

Its currently a 2 bed semi, the the none attached side I have about 30x12 (to the fence) and I would like to add a two storey extension in this space.

Would it be cheaper to put a garage and room on the ground floor? or two rooms, the front door and a downstairs toilet?

Would it be cheaper to build the extension to the front and back line of the house so the roof could be extended? I would like to align to the front but extend further back to give extra space and provide a wall to build against if I put a conservatory in place in future.

Total size would be about 30x12 x2 I guess.. my budget is 22k - am i dreaming?

Sponsored Links
Depends on where you live to an extent. I live in Reading, Berks and have a builder starting a ground floor extension 10ftx20ft with a hipped roof all round. Cost to complete (minus electrical and plumbing, but including 2nd fix carpentry and plastering and ceiling artex) £19k ex vat. An average price as a guide is £1000 per square metre or £75 per square foot (and thats per floor too).

In the end you get what you pay for. Always check out the builders work and history - better builders do not need to canvass for work or advertise really as word of mouth does much better for them.

However, you can always do bits yourself to keep cost down. Bear in mind that as the job gets bigger the cost will not go up as much as you would think (i.e. 40 square metre extension will not be double the cost of 20 square metre extension).

Hope this helps
Mark

Hi, thanks for the reply.. I live in the midlands..

the extension would be to the side of the house, two storey and about 10' 9" X 34' so about 365 x 2 which would be about 55k on the figures youve posted.. so i am dreaming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back