SOUND INSULATION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in a conversion flat and the flat above me (1st floor), is very noisy with squeeky floor boards and generally has poor sound insulation.
Can anyone suggest a fairly inexpensive way of solving it (without tearing down my plasterboard and stuffing insulation above it).

perhaps laying down some special sound proof flooring upstairs?

or shoving / blowing some sort of sound insulation between the floor boards?

I'd be willing to spend some money up a grand or so as it's really a problem.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
The only practical solution is to suspend new ceiling joists (minimum 100mm) spanning between the walls and not touching the existing ceiling (minimum gap 25mm) with a layer of mineral wool insulation (minimum density 10kg/m3) minimum thickness 100mm and ideally 2 layers of plasterboard underneath. Theres really not much else you can do as (as you're well aware) sound is very difficult to stop.

Fitting resilient layers to or treatment of the existing floor is fraught with difficulties. The new sound regs for new separating floors are quite extensive.

Or alternatively you could buy some ear defenders!

Fit a white noise generator in your appt.....

If the people abvoe you have a hard floor, tell them to lay come carpet & underlay. Even if you were able to fill the joist void with sound insulation, the noise will still travel through the joist to your ceiling which is attached.

Only way is like freddymercurystwin says, new ceiling not touching the old one.

thanks both, thought that might be the case - got cornicing so can of worms ....

Sponsored Links
Hi, im on the first floor and the noise is terrible, its airborne noise thats the problem. Ive considered soundproofing from all angles and was planning to lay insulation between the joists,... im wanting to move and im thinking can i not just sell it on as it is? Its an ex-council flat with no soundproofing. If i sell will i need to meet soundproofing regs???

dolittle said:
Hi, im on the first floor and the noise is terrible, its airborne noise thats the problem. Ive considered soundproofing from all angles and was planning to lay insulation between the joists,... im wanting to move and im thinking can i not just sell it on as it is? Its an ex-council flat with no soundproofing. If i sell will i need to meet soundproofing regs???

As its an ex-council flat it would have presumably met the building regs at the time in which case you can just sell it as it is.

In any case if somethings been converted without approval, after a certain period of time (I'm not sure what the time period is exactly) then you don't normally have to concern yourself with it (unless theres something fundamentally wrong with the conversion, ie theres a hole in the floor).

Thanks for the reply 'freddymercurystwin'! Looks like the best thing to do is sell up and dont look back! Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back