Sounds like dripping...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm probably just going to get a "take the floorboards up and have a look answer", but I thought I would post anyway, incase it is something different.

When anyone uses the sink or shower/bath in the upstairs bathroom (though not the toilet) there is a noise that I can only describe as the sound of water dripping that can be heard from downstairs in the kitchen.

The thing is the noise is coming from the right hand side of the kitchen, where as the bathroom (and as such the soil stack) is on the far left. This leads me to beleive that it is not the waste, but the water inlet that may be making the noise.

However, when nothing is being used upstairs there is no sound, and I would assume if it was the water inlet it would be dripping all the time. Further more, there is no sign of water damage on the kitchen ceiling (I would have expected to see some brown marks), and from the speed of the dripping I would have expected water to be gushing down the walls!

So what's going on then? Is the pressure of the cold water causing the pipes to knock? Is there a chance that things only leak when the water is turned on?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
could it be expansion causing the pipes to click!!!!!!!!!
try running just the cold water and see if it still makes the noise!!!!
just a thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back