Source code on my website

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I has some advice on the general DIY forum on the topic list of which trade costs the most. The advice came from cjgarlick
Which was:

In case it's of any use to you, I took a look at your website, which looks good, and have a couple of comments. They might be helpful or you might already have thought about this, but since web design is one of my 'skills' I thought I'd mention it:-

1) Change the title of the homepage. If you look in the source of your HTML (go to your page with Internet Explorer, then on the IE menu click view/source) you'll see the title of the HTML document on the 4th line. Currently it's 'J.L.C Home Page'.

This is fine... apart from that is what will be displayed by a search engine (Google etc) if anyone does a search for your services. I searched using Google.co.uk for 'Flat Pack Sheffield' and (good news) your site was listed eighth out of 6750, but (less good) it's listed as 'J.L.C Home Page'. You probably want it to appear as something more descriptive which will prompt people who don't know you to select it... like 'Expert Interior Joinery in Sheffield' or something....?

2) Stick in some search keywords. You currently have nothing in your 'content' or 'keywords' Metadata sections.... meaning search engines can only search on your homepage title as 1) above. If you stick in (for example) :-

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Sheffield joiners ,Flat Pack Assembly, joinery sheffield , furniture sheffield">

... near the top of your homepage, then anyone searching for these things on the Web will find your site.

I have had a go at changing this and would like some people who know what they are doing to take a look at my website and view the source and see if the changes i made were right, i dont understand this stuff.

My website has not been picked up by Google yet, the one shown on Google is my old website which was a blueyonder address.

please see here

Thanks

Coggy

Sponsored Links
your title is far too long (you have 10 words) i would suggest 2

you seem to have no meta tag "keywords", although you do have a list (far too long) of name words

Google has upset quite a few people recently in that it has changed the way it searches, a lot of people at the top are now not, but it still uses its basic rules of meta tags and names, dont forget you can also submit your site to google directly

Hi Breezer
Thank you and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

When you say "you seem to have no meta tag keywords" Do i put the key words in here <meta name="description" ????? in where it says description put the key words ? if yes how many do you recommend ??

This is the site i have been sending my website to is this the one you mean: here

Thanks Breezer

Coggy

Hi
Ok ive made the title a little shorter, cant do it any shorter really.

Also ive made another couple of changes, please can Breezer or anyone in the know take a look at the source now and post any comments:

see here

Thanks all

Coggy

Sponsored Links
Hi, if I might make a few suggestions based on personal experience.
Lose the animated gif as it's distracting focus away from the message you are trying to get across, maybe move your logo to where it was.
Have another go with the page title, not that it's crucial, as it doesn't seem too clear (it's neither a company title or a meaningful description and should be one or other).
I would consider changing some of your main font styles as many people apparently find mixed black and white text difficult to view.
Lastly I would lose the 'new company' bit as it might put off quite a few potential customers.

Other than that I think it looks OK. Have you tried any other search engine submissions? Google is not as popular as it used to be?

For the meta tags you may find this useful here
HTH

Thanks Studders

I have not tried any other search engine submissions. Do you have links to any, i dont know how to find them.

Thanks again, i will look at your suggestions

Coggy

No problem Coggy, the link I just added to my last post will also give you help in multi search engine submissions.
Good luck with your site.

taken from your title Quality Joinery & what is &amp ?

believe it or not page titles do make a difference (my opinion)

3rd line down after title, is wrong, look at the end of that line, now look at the end of the line below that you have missed something.

I was once told that good contrast is good i.e white on black or vice versa, but not both.

also i should remove the home page link from the home page.

I personally like your gif

why not have a links page too? (with a link on the home page)

breezer said:
believe it or not page titles do make a difference (my opinion)

You're right they are important as many if not all engines will use them, but they are not as important as they once were in my view.
Re the gif - it does it's job well, that's the problem. If coggy wanted to keep it I'd suggest putting it at the bottom of the page.

Right guys

Thank you very much for your help. I have made a few changes, can you take a look and post what you think and if i have missed anything.

Thanks again

Coggy

ps

There is a links page, the link is at the bottom of the home page

Thanks

Coggy

you still have that &amp, and you havent changed the line i mentioned, i dont think much to meta tag generators my self, my first visit to one asked me for word that it then made into tags MARVELOUS

Thanks Breezer

I have changed that &amp, but it comes back on its own. If you see at the top of your screen if your using internet explorer the title is correct.

Im not sure what to do with that line you talked about ??

I have just moved the link page, link also.

Please carry on with the advice and take another look now

Cheers Coggy

you have missed a >

i see the link link has moved but its now in green (no contrast)

i also just noticed you are using bt as your web host, why not get your own web host, that way instaed of blah blah blah.btinternet .com you get like diynot.com (or like i work for)

oh one other thing are you a ltd co?

Sponsored Links
Back