Speedfit Stop End

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have disconnected a shower which was connected to the mains with plastic pipe (don't know what make).

The pipe is now redundant so i fitted a speedfit stop end. Is this OK as a permanent way to terminate the pipe? would anyone recommend fitting a pipe insert as a double measure? or would a compression fitting be better? My concern is that the pipe has been joined to the mains before the stopcock in my flat so I have no way of turning it off if it leaks. (especially as the stop valve outside the building is not working).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh Dear !

If you really have to use plastic pipe then you need to know that it must ALWAYS be used with an insert if you dont want any problem in the future before the plastic comes to the end of its useful life.

Tony

So the water in the pipe will be stagnant. Might harbour legionella if it's nice and warm but that won't make a mess.
The thing holding the fitting on the pipe is a stainless steel springy ring. Stainless steels can undergo stress-corrosion cracking in stagnant water. If the ring snaps the fitting comes off. But they've probably got a good quality stainless for every single ring they use. So no need to worry, probably.
The rubber O ring will stop it leaking if the fitting stays on.
Rubbers never perish, do they?

thanks guys.

the original connection at the shower end was compression with no pipe insert just loads of tape wrapped around it, so i'm guessing same at the other end. Think i'll put the cap back on again properly, go find the other end of the pipe & get someone who knows what they are doing to remove it as a longer term solution.

as for installing a shower with no means of shutting off the supply... i may not know much about plumbing but the logic is beyond me !

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Don't be alarmed, the speedfit cap is same construction as any other speedfit fitting, so if all these caps up and down the land are going to perish so are the rest of the fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back