Speedfit Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new CH system and have selected speedfit pipe for the radiator pipework. I have completed part of the system across the landing area and into 2 rads. I have stop ended the 22mm flow and return at the boiler side and 1 of the 15mm fittings which is on its way into the kitchen. I have connected a dry pressure gauge to the other 15mm pipe and filled the system with air. After redoing 2 of the elbows to the copper stubs to radiator connections that were audibly leaking I have filled the system to 60psi. After 5 hours the system is down to 52psi. There is approx 9 metres of 22mm, 3 metres of 15mm and 2 600*1000 rads. Is this acceptable air leakage, or should there be none? Do I have to test it wet or scrap the pushfit for commpression fittings as it is all straight pipes - wish I had gone for them in the first place now.

Sponsored Links
Take it its John Guest in that case it must be wet tested. if my memory serves me JG say 10 minutes at 2 bar and then 10 minutes at 10 bar. Its usually reliable if installed correctly ie square cut, pipe inserts, pipe pused up tp stops etc twist and lock turned to lock pipe

I will rig the dry tester up on top of a rad tonight after filling the system. A plumbing friend has suggested that I should boss blue the compression fittings to the rads. The fittings are not twist and lock, just standard jg speedfit.

Sponsored Links
Haven help you if a fitting comes off. It will be like a rocket. If you in its way, it will do considerable damage.

If I were you, I would depressurise ASAP

Sorted! I left it alone for a week and did other jobs. Decided to have a go tonight and found that one of the radvalves was leaking up the shaft so fitted another one. Filled the system with water and pressurised from the top with 4.5 bar. No water leaks and no pressure loss after 1 hour. I now trust speedfit again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back