Spell Check error in Outlook Express

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I recently installed XP, formatting the disk first and restoring my data (imported Mail) from my old ME system. I find that when I try to spellcheck new message in Outlook Express, I get a message panel pop up "An error occurred while the spelling was being checked".

I have gor "always spell check outgoing messages" set; if I try to send a message, I get "The spell check on this document was halted. do you wish to send anyway?"

In Outlook Tools/Options/Spelling, I have got "always check spelling before sending"; "suggest spelling for misspelled words" and "English united Kingdom" (I have also tried US English, no improvement)

I had a look at "Install Windows Components" and Outlook Express is checked, it does not have a selectable detail for Spell Check, and I can't see it in other components either.

I have got MSWord in MS Office 97, spell check works in that.

Windows Regional and Language is English UK.

What might I try next?

Sponsored Links
Outlook express doesn't actually have a spell check function of it's own, but borrows the functionality from MS Word. This is why, if you don't have word installed, the spell check function in OE is unavailable. :confused:

Word 97 isn't (entirely) compatible with Windows XP, which is why you are having difficulty. Have a look at this for a possible fix.

Sponsored Links
Well that's funny! It's doing it again! I looked for file csapi3t1.dll and it is still in Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof where I put it last time.

I wonder if Windows Update had done something recently that affected it?

Back