Spot lights and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much ventalation space do you need around these lights .As its a new build the loft has 250mm insulation.
I thought may be use 110mm soil vent pipe to vent the light and stop the insulation touching the light??

nyck

Sponsored Links
The halogen spotlights get very hot so I would worry about your soil/vent pipe melting. Aluminium pipe used for boiler flues, extractor fan ducting etc. would be better.

You can buy intumescent top hats. They cost about £15 each. and need about 200mm clearance.

Other methods are to box in using fireboard, with holes for ventilation or teracotta type pots with a hole in the bottom.

with the amount of heat coming out of the back of these lights,
does it really matter about the insulation still being backed up against the lights,

Sponsored Links
punchjoshua said:
with the amount of heat coming out of the back of these lights,
does it really matter about the insulation still being backed up against the lights,
Yes

I would love to see 6 terracotta pots come through the ceiling with the halogens lol if it got slightly damp plaster board he he.

And btw im not an electrician but when I did fit 4 halogens in a kitchen (last property) they got so hot you could cook a complete roast dinner from just 2 of them - before you say anything the transformer ratings and fit was correct.

those black fire caps seem to do the trick in screwfix but expensive..
I would use metal tube as suggested and leave open at the top for heat dissipation - also warm your loft up lol if fitted there

dombe said:
You can buy intumescent top hats. They cost about £15 each. and need about 200mm clearance.

Other methods are to box in using fireboard, with holes for ventilation or teracotta type pots with a hole in the bottom.

You can also buy fire rated downlighters see TLC-Direct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back