Spotlights - Low voltage or 240V

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have installed 6 downlight spotlights in our bathroom. They are the 240V (GU10 I think) type rather than the low voltage, as our electrician said the low voltage ones weren't very reliable.

We are not hugely impressed by the amount of light given off, especially as we are burning 300watts of power.

Do the low voltage ones give off more light, and do they consume just as much electricity?

Is it true about the reliability or is that rubbish? If we are going to replace them its now or never so would appreciate anyones comments.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can see you’re with George Bush when it comes to energy conservation, 300watts of lighting in your bathroom and you still find it dark? (It must be one hell of a bathroom)

In answer to your question, low voltage lamps tend to give a whiter light than mains halogen but 50watts is 50watts so they cost about the same to run. As for reliability, check the lamp burn hours before you buy as even with GU lamps you pay for what you get.

gu10 240v in a bathroom? ur spark was looking to cut corners me thinks! low voltage are much more reliable and yes they do burn brighter. are ur 240v d/lights sealed by any chance??? they should be in a bathroom especially if they are 240v!

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
.......and fed via an RCD

Only if in zone 1 IIRC, if its in zone 2 then you can get away with IP44 sealed and no RCD

Fancy a fiver bet that one or more of the 6 lights falls within zone 1? :D

2 are over the bath, but are sealed units. The others aren't and are normal spots.
As for an RCD they are just wired in to the normal lighting circuit, without an individual RCD, however this whole lighting circuit is wired into a RCD terminal box downstairs.

Is that good enough or has this been bodged?

Is that a problem then?
They are approved for zone 1, or whatever it is called.

Personally low voltage downlights are far superior to GU10s, in terms om light output, crispness of light, safety, and reliability.

I agree that the Extra low voltage (12 v) lights give a bit brighter light but I don't think that they are more reliable, it depends the quality of the bulbs.
another issue that we all forget is the transformers, they cost and they go so you have to fix twice, one for the bulb and ones for the transformer.

The heat produced by the extra low voltage fittings is higher than the GU10 and this does not help.

I have at home all GU10 and no problems.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Can anyone answer the question as to whether this will be signed off by the council for Part P.

To recap - 6 GU10s.
2 specially sealed ones over the bath.
No dedicated RCD, connected directly to lighting circuit, but connected via an RCD downstairs in the fusebox.

Thanks.
P.S. If not then why?

kevin_robson said:
Thanks for everyone's input.

Can anyone answer the question as to whether this will be signed off by the council for Part P.

To recap - 6 GU10s.
2 specially sealed ones over the bath.
No dedicated RCD, connected directly to lighting circuit, but connected via an RCD downstairs in the fusebox.

Thanks.
P.S. If not then why?

To make it simple and comply with the requirements, why don't you put 6 lights that are the same and water protected? just to be on the safe side, as different counciels have different requirements.

if you use the protected fittings the RCD is not an issue, in any case if a RCD is installed to protect circuits or a circuit the physical position of it (near or far from the bath) is not important.

Thanks.
And to confirm once more its OK if the RCD covers the whole upstairs lighting circuit, not just the bathroom spots?

I just want to make sure everything is set up OK for when I get the council out in the future.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back