Spur for CHeating & Immersion Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whoever installed the CHeating, ran a Spur off from the Landing socket, & put onto this spur two FCUs in the airing cupboard, 1 for the CHeating (3 Amp fuse, & 1 for the Immersion Heater (13 Amp fuse).

I just wanted to check if this is Safe & ok how it is or if I should run a new piece of 2.5mm T+E from the CCU to put the CHeating & Immersion Heater FCUs on, & what size MCB would it go on a 16 Amp or 20 Amp :?: And what side of a split-load board would it go on :?:

(P.S. And if a new circuit is the case, I will use the old spur cable to add a double socket in the main bedroom, as the airing cupboard is in the main bedroom.)

Sponsored Links
An immersion heater should be on its own circuit from the CU (for a loading reasons)
If you want to correct this then leave the CH FCU on the spur and run a 2.5mm T+E from the CU on a 16A MCB.The heater can then be isolated via a 20A DP switch.
This would then be notifiable as you are adding a new circuit.

If you're prepared to run a new cable then do so. It normally goes on the unprotected side of the split board.

If you're running a double socket on the spur, you should really protect it with a 13A FCU.

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
An immersion heater should be on its own circuit from the CU (for a loading reasons)
If you want to correct this then leave the CH FCU on .the spur and run a 2.5mm T+E from the CU on a 16A MCB
This would then be notifiable as you are adding a new circuit.

So the CH FCU would not be able to go on new circuit as well :?:

And what side of the split-load board should the new circuit go on, RCD Side or non-RCD Side :?:

You don't need a new circuit for the CH. You may as well leave it as it is. If you are going to use that spur for a socket, then you could always put another FCU on the immersion circuit for the CH. Put the immersion heater on the non-RCD side.

mdbalson said:

And what side of the split-load board should the new circuit go on, RCD Side or non-RCD Side :?:

No, although not wrong in theory BS7671 says that immersion heaters (can't remember exact wording) should be on its own cct.

Non - RCD side (or 100mA side if TT)[/quote]

ricicle said:
mdbalson said:

No, although not wrong in theory BS7671 says that immersion heaters (can't remember exact wording) should be on its own cct.

Non - RCD side (or 100mA side if TT)

So Non- RCD Side of CCU, as supply to house is TN-S

sparkyspike said:
If you're prepared to run a new cable then do so. It normally goes on the unprotected side of the split board.

As I am going to be putting some sockets up I the Loft for the Network things, I thought as I need to run a cable up into the Loft for the sockets, I could at the same time run the cable for the immersion heater up into the loft & then down into the airing cupboard.

I was thinking of using a piece of 4 core 2.5mm SWA to run from the CCU up into the loft (as it has to come from the CCU cupboard through the wall to outside & then run up the outside wall & into the Loft), & into a 5 terminal jb where it will split off to the Loft sockets & the Immersion Heater circuit, using 2.5mm T+E.

(With the 4 core SWA, I was thinking of using the steel armor as the earth for both circuits, & then using 2 of the cores as L & N for the loft sockets, & the other 2 cores as L & N for the immersion heater)

Whould this be ok :?:

ricicle said:
although not wrong in theory BS7671 says that immersion heaters (can't remember exact wording) should be on its own cct.

That's the OSG that says that, not the regs?

securespark said:
ricicle said:
although not wrong in theory BS7671 says that immersion heaters (can't remember exact wording) should be on its own cct.

That's the OSG that says that, not the regs?

Could be.The one about over a certain volume they must be on their own cct.

sparkyspike said:

As I am going to be putting some sockets up in the Loft for the Network things, I thought as I need to run a cable up into the Loft for the sockets, I could at the same time run the cable for the immersion heater up into the loft & then down into the airing cupboard.

I was thinking of using a piece of 4 core 2.5mm SWA to run from the CCU up into the loft (as it has to come from out of the CCU, into the CCU cupboard & through the wall to outside & then run up the outside wall & into the Loft), & into a 5 terminal jb where it will split off to the Loft sockets & the Immersion Heater circuit, using 2.5mm 7 Stranded "Singles" run in white 20mm Round PVC Conduit (2 runs of conduit 1 for the loft sockets, & 1 for the immersion heater)

(With the 4 core SWA, I was thinking of using the steel armor as the earth for both circuits, & then using 2 of the cores as L & N for the loft sockets, & the other 2 cores as L & N for the immersion heater)

Whould this be ok :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back