1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Squealing pipes and boiler turning on when cold is run?!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by matt84, 23 Jun 2015.

1. matt84

matt84

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    I've just replaced my water main running to the upstairs bathroom.
    A couple of issues have occured after doing this-
    The boiler which is new will turn on but not fire up when any cold tap is run at speed. Running very slowly doesn't turn the boiler on. I don't know how replacing a few pipes has caused this. Somewhere I read about pressure and non return valves but it never done this before.
    When any cold water is used there is a high pitched squealing. It basically sounds like it's coming from whatever appliance is using the water, be it the taps, washing machine or toilets.
    Again, an issue since I turned the water off to replace the cold main. Was thinking is may be the supply tap but I'm not sure.
    Many thanks!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Razor900

Razor900

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like you have air trapped somewhere that's causing the boiler to fire. Run all outlets hot and cold til no air comes out and if the boiler was fitted after removing a hot water cylinder make sure that there isn't any air trapped where the old feed cane from the cylinder

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Boilerman2

Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And check the dynamic pressure cos you might need to fit a pressure reducing valve! ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local