Standing water under floorboards - how much of a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all.

I am considering the purchase of a 1900'ish terrace in need of extensive renovation. Most of the ground floor floorboards have been removed and there is an amount of standing water on the soil sub-floor. The agent says that he has been advised that it is a normal occurrence in the area and that the level hasn't changed since he took the property on in March. It doesn't seem to have affected the floors themselves, I can't see any signs of damp on the walls and there seems to have been a chemical DPC injected into them at skirtingboard level.

I have phoned a damp proofing company and explained the situation and they say it shouldn't be a problem.

Should I be concerned about this and budget to get the water drained and make sure it doesn't come back or should I just live with it, replace the floor and let the situation remain as it is? If I do need to do something about it, what exactly would that entail?

Any advice much appreciated.

AJL.

Sponsored Links
if the floorboards are already up it would be preferable to dig out the mud, lay a dpc (over sand blinding) and pour concrete. turn the dpm up the side walls. sleeper walls for the joists can be rebuilt on top of the concrete.

one of the important reasons for the concrete is to hold the dpm down next time the water table rises.

it is preferable not to have water inside the house as it will cause damp.

Look on the bright side you will never be short of water :LOL:

DONT go to a damp proofing co.

get a sump pump with float switch

Sponsored Links
ah well at least we have an extreme example of rising damp for softus now! :LOL:

it isn't rising. it's staying under the floor

mostly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back