steel beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi would someone please explain in plain english what the followIng means :178x102x30 ub binder on top of joists with ss straps fixed from each joist to wall plate rawl bolted to top of ub binder."???
A little drawing would be helpfull I know , but aint learned to do that yet. IE Does it mean a length of wood bolted to the top of the ub .?If so what size would it need to be and what are these straps and wallplate things for .I thought I could notch these extra strenghtening supports(bits of wood screwed and glued at 100mm centres on top of existing joists) and the extra joists at 200mm centres into the ub and that would be it . again a pic or a link for these strappy and wallplates things would be helpful .

NIGELSz

Sponsored Links
I cannot tell you what it means in detail without a drawing or visiting site, although on the surface it appears to describe a Universal Beam acting as a binder with a wall plate fixed to it and the wall plate strapped to the joists below. However, you haven't even given the context.

I can decipher the jargon for you if that helps.

"178x102x30 ub" (A British Standard Universal Beam) "binder" (an element that ties a number of other elements together) on top of "joists" (timber elements that form the structure of ceilings or floors) with "ss straps" (Stainless steel straps for lateral or vertical restraint of building elements) fixed from each joist to "wall plate" (timber plate spreading a load, normally found at the top of a wall) rawl bolted to top of ub binder.

I presume you didn't plick this out of thin air, so why not ask whoever wrote it to tell you what it all means?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back