Steel or Acrylic Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive bathroom suite and I just wondered what people's opinions were on Steel vs Acrylic baths?

I don't remember ever having had a bath in a steel bath. Are they supposed to be 'better' or 'worse' than the acrylic baths?

Basically, I'm refurbishing a flat for resale and I don't want to fit a steel bath if people are going to take one look at it and think it's cheap!

(sorry if I'm being a moron - just never really had any experience of a steel bath!)

Thanks,
- Chris

Sponsored Links
If going for cheaper end of market, i'd go for steel - can get decent quality for good price. Some cheaper acrylic baths can crack....personally don't like them...that goes for acrylic shower trays too. Used steel in few refurbs before and they look fine to me. If want to spend a little more than can get thicker steel which adds extra quality and still cheap.

Good luck with the refurb :D

I would agree with the above. I have experience of fitting an acrylic bath only to find it cracked after wiping the bottom. Having said that, have installed plenty not cracked.

So here's a tip. CLEAN and INSPECT your new bath BEFORE you insall it.

Thanks for the tips! I guess what I'm mainly worried about is the expectations of any potential purchasers. Are people likely to expect an acryllic bath and perhaps be put off by a steel one?

- Chris

Sponsored Links
Acrylic come in 3mm 5mm and 8mm. The 3mm one's are rubbish, flex all over the place and cause leaks. The 5mm ones are OK, but the best are 8mm, but they are expensive.

Steel baths again vary in quality, but in terms of quality for your money, I reckon steel is best. The only drawback is that the water goes cold quicker in a steel bath.

I have experience of fitting an acrylic bath only to find it cracked after wiping the bottom.
Should really use the toilet for that.
I personally prefer steel but bear in mind the enamel can chip if you drop eg a soap dish into the tub.

If you get an acrylic bath, make sure it has a steel frame, not a wooden one. The bottom of the bath should be supported by a substantial slab of wood attached to the steel frame.

For what it's worth, we've had a steel framed acrylic bath (it says Allia on it somewhere) for nearly 20 years and there are no cracks in sight.

PS: When you lean back against the end of a steel both it feels b****y cold!

Your selling it ! get the best looking and cheapest you can find and use that, it all boils down to looks in the end. Who has a bath or shower when then they look to buy a place

Dear All,

Retired and now keeping busy! Good topic of debate guys so here is my ‘two pence’…

1) Baths DO NOT need a steel frame underneath. The only bath that has a steel frame underneath is the Twyfords Avalon. This is an 'easy access' bath for the less able persons. The wooden frame is more than acceptable in every instance and if fitted correctly will support the rim of bath.

2) There are baths been sold in the UK that are made from 3.2mm. However, these are generally imported from China/ Egypt and South Africa. They will flex if not fitted correctly. In addition they may not be made from sanitaryware grade acrylic. This will lead to discolouration and a possibly a breakup of the acrylic surface over a period of use (imagine running a sharp blade numerous times over the bath in the base).

3) The UK and 'main' European manufactures uses predominantly 4mm/ 5mm and 8mm. IN terms of 'strength' it is the reinforcement on the back of the bath rather than the thickness of the acrylic you need to watch out for. Remember acrylic baths are vacuum formed. The deeper the bath the thinner the acrylic becomes as it is drawn into the bath tool.

4) Further to point 3 is one of the main reasons why Carron introduced Carronite, Trojan “Trojancast” and Aquarius “Aquanite”. These extra reinforced baths are becoming more popular in rented accommodation, hotels and large families (both numbers and weight)

5) You cannot mould many of the 'new, sharp angled designer' baths out of 8mm. The internal radius of the bath would be lost as the acrylic would be 'too thick'. I believe 8mm is predominately used for the contract market (i.e. council re furbs)

6) CRACKS! Not something that is caused by the manufacturer. Acrylic baths are vacuum formed. If the bath had a crack in it how would it mould? It would be like blowing a balloon with a hole in it! Cracks are as a result of carless handling in distribution depots or (dare I say it) careless plumbers. CHECK THE BATH PRIOR TO FITTING! READ THE INSTRUCTION THAT REQUESTS YOU REMOVE THE FILM PRIOR TO FITTING!

7) Steel baths ‘feel cold’. Buy a cheap one of these and it may chip very easily. Once there chipped I believe they are difficult/ not possible to repair.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I guess what I'm mainly worried about is the expectations of any potential purchasers. Are people likely to expect an acryllic bath and perhaps be put off by a steel one?

- Chris
It doesn't really matter, they want the house or they don't. They can tell the difference between cheap crap and quality, or they can't. Plastic or steel, cheap is cheap, and it will look that way.
Most of my repair jobs are in tarted up flats, and it only takes seconds to recognise them. Cheap double glazing, cheap boiler, laminate flooring, cheap downlights, cheap kitchen, cheap bathroom, cheap tiles etc. etc.
But this is still the country where you must own your home, must get on the ladder, and millions of first time buyers that are desperate and will buy anything as long as they can get a mortgage for it. Don't worry, some muppet will buy it.

Just to add - chips in baths can be repaired in either material.

Acrylic can be difficult to get a completely invisbile repair though. Most of my calls are for cheap pressed steel baths where the enamel has chipped by the waste.

Search under bathfix if you want to see some before and after repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back