steel trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
moved into house about 6 months ago and went into the loft to find my roof is held up by metal trusses, does anyone have any further info or where i can get some on this. as i want to convert my loft.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Well I `ve done a google search and I can only find that it`s probably a Local Authority house :cry: .Am interested because there is a small development near me of them..built in the 60`s but privately (speculative) built not L.A...a long shot .maybe try the council office, there may be some archive material from when they were built. I`m right down near the S. coast......have a feeling the whole lot would have to come off and be redone.then there`s the weight calcs :cry:

What type of trusses?

Are the Z or C section solid metal or some form of thin plate lattice sections?

What is the pitch of your roof?

Also age of property? (as if its 1950s it may well be completely metal framed)

Hi,

This is a hit and miss as far as your local council are concerned and planning permission.

As we speak i am pricing a steel truss lot conversion and when i contacted the local planing department i was told a number of things...

1: The council can force a structual engineer survey at your cost
2: Once the survey is done they can actually male you re-truss your roof to get planning permission.

A friend of mine works in planning and he told me that it can be done without the re-roof crap.

All the best.

Sponsored Links
Would be interested to hear how your friend would have it done, The one in Planning. Better still ,how you do the one you`re pricing. Thanks.

Nige F said:
Would be interested to hear how your friend would have it done, The one in Planning. Better still ,how you do the one you`re pricing. Thanks.

He said there have been some done already without renewing the whole roof, thats as far as he can go with client confidentiality. i take it these where done before they applied for planning.

As for the 1 i am doing, right now i have priced it to keep original structure, all i have done is get a QS to work out the load on the existing layout and a proposed load if i was to remove the 2 vertical beams and replace these with 1 horizontal beam between the steel truss to brace them. He says this would be more than adequate.

Price wise i have indicated that the price may vary according to what we may need to do, the clients also knows the ball part figure could increase by as much as £5-6k if a new roof structure had to be put in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back