Sticking with conventional vented CH / HW system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of folks on this forum are debating the pros/cons of unvented / combi systems. We have a 20 yr old conventional vented system in our 4 bed semi that needs a serious upgrading but like a lot of older properties (ours is a 100 yrs old) we have c**p flow rates / pressure.

I realise we can get the mains supply upgraded to 25mm plastic pipe etc but I was wondering if there isn't life in the old vented systems yet in terms of economy etc. How would a modern boiler and seperate HW Tank compare with an unvented system? Surely there are modern boilers which are highly efficent, heat water quickly etc?

So to all you old-timer-plumber types who hark back to the good old days of working in lofts breathing in rockwool dust, which modern boiler / hw tank / controller combinations would you recommend? I read something about a Valliant system that can all be linked to an advanced controller resulting in a highly flexible system.

Cheers

Kev

Sponsored Links
Buderus 600R series. Standard HE boiler, large heat exchanger doesn't even have pump overrun and vented in-direct cylinder with high recovery coil. As for pressure it's only required on a shower (bath needs good flow rate only). There is even a vented cylinder made by Manchester Coppersmiths that has a mains fed (6ltr/min) shower coil built in to a standard cylinder. Otherwise use a shower pump.

Thanks for that advice. I've done a bit of looking around at that boiler and I like the wireless control integration and seems to have plenty of venting flexibility. I'm thinking of putting it in the cellar so that's useful.

I take it there are not so many options for Hot Water Cylinders then - any reputable make will suffice?

I don't really understand the advantages of a direct shower coil in the Manchester Coppersmiths option and have found little info on them on the web. Doe's it kick in automatically when you run the shower? 6 l/m doesn't sound that powerful either.

I hope I'm thinking along the right lines in sticking with a conventional system rather than an unvented or combi option. I just feel unvented are complex and recharging them a pain when "conventional" systems run for years with a minimum of maintenance. A large combi would suit us as a couple but a 4 bedroom / 2 bathroom house would appear to be at the upper end of a combi's capabiility and the advantages in larger houses diminish to some extent.

Sponsored Links
Look at a system boiler , either worcester or valliant. You have the advantage of still having enough HW to service 2 or more bathrooms in your cylunder but the system is unvented so you can get rid of your cold water storage and F&E tanks and the controls are all neatly integrated into the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back