Stiff Mixer Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
The taps themselves are OK; it is the movable arm that gets so stiff and difficult to move. I have stripped it down on numerous occasions cleaned it and put it back, but it always gets stiffer and stiffer to move. Yesterday I put some less thick 'O' rings on, it moved fine them but leaked a lot. I returned the original two 'O' rings and it worked OK but within minutes it was almost too stiff to move. It is almost as if the 'O' rings expand or absorb water and expand?
Thanks.
Paul

Sponsored Links
have you tried new o rings of the correct size? Tap washers and o rings can sometimes expand when in contact with hot water if they are old.

Tried GREASE??! Silicone grease is best but vaseline is better than nowt.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Tried GREASE??! Silicone grease is best but vaseline is better than nowt.
Hello.
Yes tried all types of grease. Works OK for literally minutes, but then it just gets stiffer and stiffer. This morning you could hardly move the arm. Suspect it is down to low quality ‘O’ rings.
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back