Stiff Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I try to turn off my bathroom hot sink tap I find that it turns off relatively easy most of the way but then the last bit it seems to get stuck and a lot more force is needed to actually finish turning the tap off.

The cold one does it too but not as bad. Is there a repair for it or is it replacement time?? That taps are just your run of the mill 'cheap' new build property taps.
star-bath-taps

Also whilst on the subject of taps I find that the kitchen hot tap when you turn it on there is nothing but then all of a sudden a huge gush of hot water comes out. Is there a fix or is it replacement time?
Again they are you 'cheap' run of the mill new build property mixer taps

When I say new built I mean approx 5 years :oops:

Sponsored Links
1st problem just strip them down give a good clean with wd40 etc use some silicone grease and refit all willbe fine.
they clog up with gunk.

2nd problem the jumpers more likely sticking/worn then releasing when tap opened.

1st problem just strip them down give a good clean with wd40 etc use some silicone grease and refit all willbe fine.
they clog up with gunk.

2nd problem the jumpers more likely sticking/worn then releasing when tap opened.

Thanks very much.

Sorry for being an idiot but Jumpers???

Jumper is the bit stuck to the washer, or what you put on to keep you warm, if you get wet changing/renovating the valves. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hmmm I can't try anything until I have isolated the water :confused: I have tried turning the two taps off that go into/out of the boilers but I still have water flowing. HMMM :confused:

I have no idea...I'm in a block of flats. Will take a photo and edit this post..

LOL @ doing it live. Don't think the missus would be happy with me flooding the flat.

Have you got a hot water cylinder or does the boiler fire up when you turn the hot water tap on? Dig out that jumper you may need it :LOL:

get organised then turn on the 3 hot taps and swap the head over live, then do the same with the cold, 2 mins max, go on, go on, go on

OK so here it goes. This is a picture of the boiler(s)
DSC00391.jpg

This is the first tap I turned off. It comes in from the communal hallway. and is located just under the two white wall sockets. (bottom left of the photo)
DSC00392.jpg

Then turned off this tape which is further along the pipe:
DSC00393.jpg

I ran the water for a good 5 mins but there was no loss of pressure or anything like that and I know it's not Gas as we do not have Gas in this block of flats.

Also I noticed the other day a white plastic pipe hanging off, I pushed it back on and done it up.
DSC00394.jpg

Hope this helps

looking at that yours taps are tank fed through the pump (cold/hot).
can't see any other isolation valves in sight.
but check your pump flexis they useally have isolation valve fitted in them. look for a screw slot on the ends of the flexis.

your kitchen cold should be mains feed.
so if you've shut the incoming stopcock that tap should of stopped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back