1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Still smell gas after tightness test

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Guest52, 5 Jul 2005.

1. Guest52

Guest52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Gasman has been out today to a gas smell around a soldered joint in the gas pipe but detected no leak either with leak detector spray or tightness test. The smell is still there. I must add the slight smell of gas has been there for 3 or 4 years (whenever I crawled around on the bedroom floor) but we've just started doing the room so the floor is up and I could finally track it down. Has anyone any suggestions?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ArtfulBodger

ArtfulBodger

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Regulations state that there must be "no smell of gas" even if a soundness test detects no leakage. Call Transco, might not even be on your property but still must be dealt with.

4. kevplumb

kevplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    not as silly as it sounds are you sure its gas

having said that wouldnt be the first time i'd been to one seeping from next door :eek:

5. Guest52

Guest52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The smell is definitely just round one joint, none of the other individual joints have any smell.

6. namsag

namsag

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Was it transco you had out or just a gas engineer. If you are getting a smell and the instalation does not have any drop on it at all it may be your service that has gone an finding its way through cavity up to your bedroom if you are joined to other properties it may even be coming in from them. Transco should have a gastech which is a highly sensitive bit of kit that will pick up the tiniest of leaks. Sometimes it isn`t even gas at all can be hole in soil stack,timber treatments, timber rotting, dead animals etc etc. had it many times when it instalation passes every test but there is adefinite smell it`s just not gas though

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Had job once where customer said its from that joint on pipe on skirting board as i can smell it sure enough used tester on it got a reading . Renewed joint checked and was still getting readings , turned out it was the service which ran directly below it and was coming up through floor , gas can track a long way from actual source of leak. But if you say its just from one joint and can still smell it have you used bubbles on it.

MOD

please see 10a

7. Guest52

Guest52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for help so far. It was an engineer not transco who came and he sprayed all the joints with leak detector (is that what you mean by bubbles?). The reason it wasn't checked out before this is that I thought it might just be old floorboards smelling.

8. ChrisR

ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Call Transco 0800 111999, it's free and they'll be there within an hour. They might turn your gas off, but at least you'll know if it's a real leak

9. ollski

ollski

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why did he bubble the joints?...did he have a drop at the tightness test on the meter?

10. Sponsored Links
  11. Guest52

Guest52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No he sprayed it first then tested it, there was no drop.

12. ChrisR

ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tiny leaks can smell but not show on a water U guage, though they do on a digital one. Bubbles can need leaving untouched for several minutes.

13. PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have you been eating any exotic dishes, r u very short with your nose too near your botty.

14. B.O.B DOLE

B.O.B DOLE

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    have you changed your socks lately

15. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I once went to a flat where turning off the gas at the meter did not turn off the gas supply!!! Doing a tightness test would never show any leakage.

Two flats had their supplies parallelled with two meters. Had been like that for three years!

Obviously no LSCs ? perhaps there were.

My assistant worked with a firm as training and went to 11 safety checks and saw NO tightness tests being done. Only tool used was a pen to fill in the Certificate.

Tony Glazier

16. kevplumb

kevplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    come out of our self imposed exile then have we tony ;)

17. DP

DP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Spraying does not always find the leak.

Correct preoceedure has to bew used when carrying out tightness test. Check the engineer CORGI card. Flip it over and see what he can do. He may not even be CORGI registered and may not know how to carry out the test.

CALL IN TRANSCO before the house mecome a settalite around the earth.

Sponsored Links