STILTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone use them as im thinking of getting some for large ceiling work.

Sponsored Links
Use them all the time.
The best things you will ever buy, and invest in.

Marshalltown have just brought out some great looking stilts for this year, very jealous. :mad:

the marshalltown one are quite pricey though.
you can get a Marshalltown "LIKE" set on ebay for £60. anybody used the cheaper ones ?

Sponsored Links
Very few pros use them for domestic work as you have to cover the carpet with drop sheets. Get a leg caught in that and you're on your way down to who knows where. Great for empty houses and office blocks though.

Rubberball said:
you can get a Marshalltown "LIKE" set on ebay for £60. anybody used the cheaper ones ?

Im guessing you still have not seen the NEW marshalltown stilts :rolleyes:

joe-90 said:
Very few pros use them for domestic work as you have to cover the carpet with drop sheets. Get a leg caught in that and you're on your way down to who knows where. Great for empty houses and office blocks though.

All u need is a bit of gaffer tape, never in 3 years had a fall!
Just tape all joins together and to the skirting.

dazzer1971 said:
Rubberball said:

Im guessing you still have not seen the NEW marshalltown stilts :rolleyes:

question answered lol

dazzer1971 said:
joe-90 said:

All u need is a bit of gaffer tape, never in 3 years had a fall!
Just tape all joins together and to the skirting.

That doesn't mean you won't. The guys I know have been at it for 30+ years and they don't use them.

The guy I know has been at it for 31+ years and he does use them.

Used them today for the first time they were great. blody hard ceiling to do though ,boiling hot in the room its size was about 6 metres x 4metres going over artex. Stuff dried really quick had to throw fair bit of water on to close down.Turned out well though even got a £20 tip off customer. only applyed one coat of pva next time ill do 2.

brist said:
Used them today for the first time they were great. blody hard ceiling to do though ,boiling hot in the room its size was about 6 metres x 4metres going over artex. Stuff dried really quick had to throw fair bit of water on to close down.Turned out well though even got a £20 tip off customer. only applyed one coat of pva next time ill do 2.

Christ! There are three things I hate (well, not hate, just prefer they didn't really exist when I'm working) in this line of work and that's Artexed ceilings, large ceilings and high temperatures. You got 'em all rolled into one!

I had all three in one the last week when I had that nightmare job I posted about.

Glad to see you're getting on well with the stilts. I'm still not sure if I should go for a set. I'm quite happy with my little platforms that I can hop onto.

Having said that, did a ceiling last week which was quite low. I could touch it with the tip of my finger whilst standing on the floor. Hop on my step and had to tilt my head forwards to keep it from hitting the ceiling. I had to stand on tip toes to lay it on and even then had to hold the trowel right above my head rather than to the side. Should've seen me - covered from head to toe! Polishing was great though - run from one side of the room to the other with trowel in hand.

regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back