Stopping water getting into garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage at the bottom of my garden. The garage floor is about 2 feet below the level of the garden, and there are three steps leading down from the garden into a door at the back of the garage.

Obviously, the steps collect water, as they are lower than the rest of the garden. The problem is that this water is then flowing into the garage.

I have fixed a piece of wood to the floor along the bottom of the door, and sealed it in place with roofing sealant. I have then drilled 12-15 holes in the bottom step to a depth of about 1 foot in an attempt to help the water drain off.

This has not helped at all, and the water still gets in. I have been advised to look at getting a soakaway, but I don't think that these can be used right next to a building.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You may have to do something like french drain to reroute the rainwater elsewhere or rebuild the wall like this. Plenty good info about drainage and soakaway > www.pavingexpert.com
wall02.gif

Do you have a guttering and downpipe on the garage? If so, why not dig and lay a shallow drain to connect into it. If not , dig a soak away and divert into it. If the ground is 2ft higher than the floor it would be advisable to dig this away to form a path about 2-3ft wide around the walls of the garage to help prevent dampness as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back