Storage Tank / emmersion heater wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this should be in here on in electrics. But here we go, recently had a lot of plumbing and electric problems. The box that all the wires for the airing cupboard got smashed and wires pulled out, purchased a new box but need to work out how to rewire it up. (I’m a trainee electrician so I should know this but have no idea :(

Any advice would be greatly received

Thanks in advance

Mem

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
Hard to be specific. Could be anything in there. First work out where each wire goes to. Boiler, pump, motorised valve power and relay, room thermostat, tank thermostat, timer, mains power? Have you got any documentation? These things usually arrive with suggested wiring diagrams for different setups.

all i have is the guide for the new box thingmy bob lol. emersion heater bit wired up n works :)

i have a 3 core & earth wire for the room temp. (red-blue-yellow)
& a 3 core and earth from the mains (or back boiler) :/ (red-blue-yellow)
& a 3 core flex from the tank temp. (red-yellow-black)
& a 4 core & earth from the motorised valve (white-orange-grey-blue)
a finally 2, 2 core & earth to the timer. thats all the wires that are in there.

i have a diagram from the wiring centre ( box thingy) but cant make head nor tail of it.

edi: i also have the 2 core & earth that goes from a 15A fuse on the cuircuit breaker to a fused spur then a heat resitant 2 core & earth flex to the emersion bit :)

Ok, colours mean squat :LOL: Depends who wired it!

Determine what colours go where first.

EG.

Cylinder Stat, C L1 L2 (what colours of the flex??, look inside the CylStat cover - is L1 make on temp rise or temp drop?, what make CylStat is it??)

Room Stat (Would think it is red to Com, Yellow to 'call' and Blue to N) Again, what make is the Room Stat??

Timer, what are the pin outs?? eg, 1 Live, 2 Neut, 3 HW on, 4 HW off, 5 CH on, 6 CH off?????

Boiler, What terminals do the 3 cores go to??? Could be a Live, Sw live and neutral, or just a live and neutral. Which cores???

The valve - does it have 2 or 3 pipes??

With these questions answered, we can draw up a diagram.

Sponsored Links
"this" semie helped mines the c type, with the question im lost lol. all the connections are loose

the room temp isnt wired in at all (brand new) make:drayton rts 1
the cylinder thormostat is also brand new again drayton, hts 3 (old one has the 3 wires going out
the wiring centre is drayton lwc1
the vavle has 3 pipes

the timer i have no idea its ancient just has 2 2 core & earth coming out of it (looks like ill be changing that to a drayton as well lol)

If it is all drayton, no point in any of us drawing you a diagram. There will be diagrams with every item you buy.

Our diagram would be the same as theirs.

thing that i dont get is on that diagram it shows the boiler, and mains. i only have one wire comeing upstairs which is the 3 core and earth, so i assume thats from the boiler and there is no mains?

what type of wire should i use for the tank stat? im slowly working out wat i need to do here

Heat resist 0.75mm 4core. You do not need an earth for the tank stat, but you cant use the earth core for anything other than earth.

Does the mains come in at the boiler - look. Maybe a FCU near the boiler, using the 3core as LIVE UP, SW LIVE DOWN, and NEUTRAL.

If not, then you need to 'supply' a supply!

It is not uncommon to find the FCU for the entire system adjacent to the boiler. If it isnt, then you will need a seperate isolator adjacent to the boiler to comply to the corgi regs.

FCU? (fused connection unit?)

sorry if im sounding dumb here :/ it was all working but the box got smashed so i shouldnt need to add take any cables?

the onlypower thats in the cupboard is a 3 core and earth. which im thinking is coming from the back boiler. apart from the power source and the boiler i under stand the diagram. it just that little bit that i dont get :( im gonna have another roumage around see if i can find anymore wires :/

Whats at the boiler end?? are you sure the 3 core is live - have you tested it?

The cent heat control wasn't spured from the Immersion DP switch was it?? (not ideal if it was, even if via an FCU...Fused Connection Unit, Switch Fused Spur, Fused Spur..........)

yup the 3 core is live, thats the only wiring going into the cupboard atm (room temp is not run in there yet)

and nope there was nothing else on the immersion heater fuse

fuse box - fused spur - immersion. thats it.

right followed the wire down, and it goes to a junction box with 2 wires going in it under the fire (back boiler) but i cant tell where from there due to not being able to get under the fire lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back