Straight Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone offer advice. My partner and I wanted to have a nice woodburning stove in the fireplace - have had loads of problems - so in the end (for now) we've decided to brick it up. Problem is we have a straight chimney and the rain pours in. Whats the best way to go about sealing it up? I've been reading up on these Chimney Baloons you can get but they seem more of a temporary thing.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Can you get up on the roof? Put a chimney cowl on. I think thats what its called. Stops thr rain but allows ventilation.

As above fella,not only will the cowl prevent any water getting in it will also stop any birds nesting in there,failing that,why not block it with some hardcore/concrete cap and stick some air bricks in the chimney stack to allow plenty of ventilation,all down to cost I suppose but cowl is probably best option.

SD Carps

Sponsored Links
You can use a metal cowl or a clay 'mushroom' to stop the rain. What is the problem fitting a wood burner?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back