Strange Emulsion problem

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just painted over a couple of previously painted walls with fresh emulsion. As far as I know the previous paint was nothing unusual. We've recently moved into the house and have painted another room with no problems.

Now that the paint has dried I have what I can only describe as what looks like a dried parchment effect or crazy paving over most of the walls. Several coats have made no difference.

Only thing I can think of is that it's been very warm over the last couple of days. Is it possible this has caused a problem - maybe paint drying too quickly or something ?

As you can imagine I'm rather hacked off at the moment as it's obviously been a complete waste of time and now I need some advice on what I can do to either cover it or remove and start again.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Was the old one silk and your one matt?

I've got a bad feeling about this ....

Yes, the previous paint appeared to be silk and I'm using matt.

Not good I take it ?

Thanks

Update - Just done some searching on the web and found my answer - it's not good.

I did run over it quickly with sandpaper but obviously didn't realise how much of an issue not doing it thoroughly would cause. Not 100% sure but think the other room we did was silk as well - maybe just lucky with that one ?

Is there anything I can do to fix this without using up the DIY store's complete stock of sandpaper ? Now have 3 layers of new paint on the walls.

Sponsored Links
It is Dulux Vinyl Matt - one of the in-store paint mix jobs.

Don't think there's anything wrong with the paint as we had a bare wall in the same room and it's OK - at the moment anyway. Unless it's reacted with the previous stuff - don't know what this was.

I don't know if it's worth trying yet another coat to see if it would cover the hairline cracks but 2 previous coats didn't help.

Did you thin down the emulsion or use it unthinned ? Also was the emulsion Trade or not ?

I used it unthinned and it's the Trade stuff - does this make a difference ?

First of all let me explain that when ever overcoating very good quality vinyl silk with very good quality or poor quality vinyl/non-vinyl matt for that matter there is always a tiny chance of crazing, sad fact but there you go. In order to stop the chance of crazing in above scenario is give vinyl silk a good rub down to break the vinyl silk surface, in order the vinyl matt will not craze. Also, another way is to rub down and give a coat of dulux trade acrylic eggshell, then over coat with vinyl matt. HOWEVER, dulux trade vinyl matt is to thick of a paint to be used unthinned, as i have used unthinned and to my disapiontment the cutting in and some of the rollering started to flake as to thick. Anyway, i think the best way to fix your problem is soak the vinyl matt emulsion 3 times (5mins intervals) with warm water and then scrape the now moist vinyl matt emulsion with a scraper, just like stripping wallpaper. Also, have a bucket and sponge with you to clean walls as u go. Once all vinyl matt emulsion is off walls follow my above explained recomendations, but i would personally coat your walls with dulux trade acrylic eggshell, just to be safe.

I realise that you are talking matt over silk, but, are there any issues with silk over silk. Should you still abrade the silk before applying the fresh silk paint.

jamiller said:
I realise that you are talking matt over silk, but, are there any issues with silk over silk. Should you still abrade the silk before applying the fresh silk paint.

I would, also if it's a big change of colour I would use matt first.

Just done a big staircase where the walls were a deep blue, very shiny, either silk or oil eggshell, so I was a bit worried as he wanted silk magnolia.
( This board can give you the willy's sometimes) :cry: so I coated them with Johnstone's smooth masonry paint first and it stuck like the proverbial. I was real pleased

What do you think of that lads

growler - its interesting to hear you say 'use matt first' - isnt that what people are suggesting you aviod if possible? not being argumentative here mate - just confused. Your right on the 'this board can give you the willys' comment, but it is still a great source of info. if the board was not here, you would just get on and do it with a probable success rate of say 95% - but it helps avoid the 5% disaster zone!!

jamiller said:
growler - its interesting to hear you say 'use matt first' - isnt that what people are suggesting you aviod if possible? not being argumentative here mate - just confused.

Yeah sorry.
Third_eye's advice is best.

Interested to see about my masonry solution though.

jamiller said:
To be honest there can any issues with any coat above any coat. In other words its not just vinyl matt over vinyl silk etc. Do understand that most vinyl soft sheen & vinyl silk are flexible & vinyl matt is not. Hence why vinyl matt can craze. Though then again so can vinyl soft sheen & vinyl silk in different enviroments. Anyway back to yuor question in terms of silk over silk. Best thing to do is wash down silk walls or cielings with diluted sugar soap then let dry, then rub down slightly the silk surfaces (assuming the surfaces are flat), then dust off, then apply a neat coat of silk over prepared surface in question, but do one wall or cieling at a time. Also, "growler" is correct in terms of putting vinyl matt over silk in the scenario he explains cos i have done it myself, but do not do it in some shower rooms or bathrooms as it can flake. Johnstone's smooth masonry paint first and it stuck like the proverbial. "Growler" you wrote, "I was real pleased what do you think of that lads" If it works then great, but god help the guy who papers over it with a vinyl wallcovering (assuming masonry is oil based) :)

Not oil based third-eye.

Water based masonry followed by 2 coats silk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back