Straw Poll: Leave washing machine door open, or closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if you guys could help us solve a late night pub debate about whether the door of a washing machine should be left open after taking clothes out, to let any remaining water evaporate, or closed to avoid putting unnecesary weight on the door hinge?

We'd like lots of answers from lots of people and the most popular choice will determine who wins the bet.

Please take a second to simply answer 'open' or 'closed', leaving additional information if you know what you're talking about. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Open, just a little bit, no problem with the hinges, but residue damp can get out.
Have you ever smelled the inside of a washing machine that was always closed? (Or the washing coming out of it?)

Sponsored Links
Open. If you leave it closed apart from the smell, the door could stick to the seal.

Open of course. And the soap powder drawer as well, they are included to grow moldew in there, especially if you don't clean out the congealed soap and fab soft.

Grrr. Looks like I pretty conclusively lost that bet then : (
I always thought the door was potentially one of the first things to give trouble if not looked after.

What about the tumble dryer? Open or closed?

GabrielKnight said:
Grrr. Looks like I pretty conclusively lost that bet then : (
I always thought the door was potentially one of the first things to give trouble if not looked after.

What about the tumble dryer? Open or closed?

Why not back a winner and go for a fridge door :D

Not sure I'd get very good odds.

Everybody knows you should leave the fidge / freezer door wide open all day to let the smells out.

Leave fridge/freezer door open only in the summer, good for cooling the room down. :p :p :p

because of the the seal in hot weather weld itself to plastic door and when open it tears off with it slightly open will air inside smells and all that as well as keeping the rubber from tearing

Open, never considered the soap draw options before though.

always closed the bloody thing never stops running in our house, must go on twice a day.

OPEN always always always.. As posted before the smell from a machine after being closed for a few days has to be smelled to be beleived..
Plus the fact that the rubber door seal will stick to the glass if left long enough..
==========================
topic closed to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back