Strengthening Trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having the roof tiles replaced on my house the builder commented that the roof wasn't sturdy and needed diagonal braces to strengthen it. Sounded like an easy enough DIY job to me. Can anyone give me any tips how I should fit these?

Or ... do you think he was just trying to get some extra work out of me!!? (especially considering that the entire estate has the same type of roof construction and I have never seen any with a collapsed roof)

Probably worth pointing out that my roof is a single apex with two gable ends (i.e. average 70s detached property) with 'fink' type trusses.

Sponsored Links
I`m not a chippy, but I`ve seen the diag. braces holding trusses.........they`re aprox. 5x1 inch sawn timber.and they go from the ceiling level @ one end of the row of trusses to the ridge @ the opposite end ....One each on front and back of roof..inside the roofspace...Basically they stop the row of trusses going down like dominoes :eek: .That`s the best explanation I can do. Can`t send photo, and my house is trad. roof :confused:

this pretty much shows the bracing you should have it is usually 4x1 timber. As a retro fit you may have to use much shorter timbers to get them in amongst the trusses. make sure they overlap over at least 2 trusses. www.tra.org.uk/pdf_files/pds4.pdf

Sponsored Links
Excellent responses, just what I was looking for. Thanks very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back