stripped wallpaper-patchy emulsion-repair or paper over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you strip paper, it often pulls off patches of emulsion - leaving emulsion thickness indents in walls. Do these need to be easifilled or re-emulsioned to bring level or can you paper over without them showing through on wallpaper. Thank you in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Yep I agree with Gcol...emulsion isnt that thick..but whether you get away with it will depend on the the type, colour and patern of your wallpaper.

If its a light shiny fairly thin paper with not much or no pattern then you may have problems...and you might not notice them until the paper is dry.

If its a thick blown vinyl then you may be ok

I would coat the bear bits of wall with some emulsion then rub down the edges of the old stuff first.

Or line the walls first.

If you have bear areas and painted areas you can have problems with the joints..moisture from the paste cab creep under the existing paint and undermine it...when the paper dries the surface tension can cause the joints to lift...the adhesion of the paint doesnt sound to clever to be honest..

The edges of the paint may be the least of your worries...you could end up having serious problems with the paper sticking

Its a 50/50 chance..

But it could cost you a lot of money if it doesnt work out.

Sponsored Links
The big problem these days is when it is just lining paper, followed by emulsion that you are putting up.
I still havent figured a quick way round this. I had to line a lounge twice last year.

If I had to do that id go for a 1000 or 800 grade followed by 600 for painting on as I find that some of the heavier grades have a slight bumpy finish.

600 is a lot smoother but harder to apply..its a catch 22...rough walls need thicker paper to cover the imperfections..but then you can have problems with the finish...if you use a thinner grade then it may not cover the roughness too well..

gcol said:
The walls must have been pretty bad. What grade of lining paper was that Growler?
I did it in 800 but when the sun shone through the window and side on to the walls, I have to admit it did look bad. I finished it in 1400 and I hate that stuff. :(

Growler said:
gcol said:
The walls must have been pretty bad. What grade of lining paper was that Growler?
I did it in 800 but when the sun shone through the window and side on to the walls, I have to admit it did look bad. I finished it in 1400 and I hate that stuff. :(

Why do you hate 1400? If you'd have done it in 1400 in the first place it'd probably have been sorted first time.

If the walls were that bad I'd have saved myself a lot of bother and recommended good old textured vinyl as thick as you can find it. Or if customer is determined to have just emulsion get them to have it skimmed first :D

I never use anything less than the 1400, I have no problems with painting it, and I quite like the texture.
Even though I use 1400, i still do the filling and sanding etc, as I know what will show through as thick as 1400 is, trial and error lol.
I suppose I am used to the 1400 now, that couldnt go back to using 1000 or 1200.

The walls wern't that bad, they were good normal walls but the emulsion edges showed through, like the original question.
Perhaps its time for me to start using 1400 if it doesn't show through that.

It'll cover pretty much all evils. Certainly cover emulsion with ease.
What made you say you hated 1400 though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back